Those Scions

You guys check em out yet? Same price as the Camry, and Toyota makes it.

160hp 2 door, looks nice. Waaay better than the camry.

mb

Reply to
MB

Which one?

The xa is passable. The tc is acceptable. The xb is butt ugly. Coyote ugly. Dead possum ugly. Wouldn't be caught dead driving one. Don't care how good they are, if they are. Ugh.

Disclaimer- YMMV J

Reply to
Joseph

See post in alt.autos.toyota....

Reply to
HachiRoku

better than the camry? I'd take a new Solara V6 over one any day.

Reply to
Dave Stone

You must be over 25 (born before 1979). Scion is not targeted to the demographic that likes Camry They're looking to develop younger customers and a basis for future sales. You probably don't "get" their TV commercials either. I don't. Guess we're not supposed to. Ask your kids, or grandkids. They probably think they're cool.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Much better if you enjoy noisy, rough riding suspension and poor acceleration.

Reply to
Art

You're certainly right about that.. :-( Double that and add a few.

Around here (northern California) the folks I see driving the hideous xb are in many cases my age if not older. I look because I'm curious about

*who* would drive around in something that looked like that. That said, I'm inclined to believe there is a finite number of basic ways engineers and designers can make a vehicle look, and after all these years the possibilities, I'm guessing, are pretty much exhausted. Hence the outlandish designs such as the xb, Aztek and the Dodge ("The Rules Have Changed") truck of a few years ago. Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. It would also explain the "Retro" vehicles such as the PTCruiser, TBird, Prowler and, of course, the "New Beetle." And let's not forget the re-emergence of the "roadster."

Hm.. haven't seen their commercials. Then again I watch little TV, and when I do TiVo makes it quite easy to obliterate commercials.

I'll have to ask my daughter- no grandkids, yet.

Joseph

Kinda makes you wonder what their plans are for the Solara Coupe.

MCB

Reply to
Artfulcodger

See post in alt.autos.toyota about discussion on 'demographics..'

Reply to
HachiRoku

Hey, wait a minute! How old *are* you guys, anyway? I'm approaching 50, and I *love* the commercials! Well, *maybe* the music isn't quite to my taste, but I love the graphics/design (of the commercials, that is). Oh, the tC is cool, too. Wait, I'm pretty far out of their demographic. Hmmmm.... does anyone here know what *HachiRoku* means....?

See similar discussion in alt.autos.toyota

Reply to
HachiRoku

Lifted from:

Hachiroku

Literally translated eight - six, but commonly used as the name for the AE86, 1984-1987 Toyota Corolla GTS. Runs on the DOHC 4-AGE motor, rear wheel drive w/ lsd.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

No didn't lift it from there. One of the hottest cars on the drifting circuit.

I'll have to look, but the model designation on mine is ae_88_...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Same here, and I'm 24 (Dec 1979).

I'll admit I like their ads, but I think all the Scions are butt-fugly (esp the xB).

Reply to
TundraOwner2002

But yor age group is supposed to like them! That's what Toyota is counting on.

For this series, they did their market research in Japan. The japanese kids are eating them up because they are cheap, reliable and funky looking. Also, the cost of driving in Japan is at least three times what it is here, so they look for economy. The Scion (and a couple Hondas not sold here) fit the bill quite well. And the kids love the extreme styling. To them it is a retro look.

Think of how the current Mustang and Thunderbird look here. Retro-stylish. Now think of what you remember of early Japanese cars, esp stuff like the Honda Life and the Subaru 360 (*there* was a real looker!).

This is what they're hitting in the Japanese market with these cars. And with all the kids here scooping up Hondas and ricing them up, they figured the Scion would go over as well.

Kids here have more disposable income and can afford a more expensive/less economical car, so these go right under their feet! We'll see what the next couple years will bring.

I like the Japanese/retro look, but I liked what little I saw of Japanese cars when I was a kid, anyway...

Reply to
HachiRoku