Throttle Body Cleaning - Increases Idle Speed?

I just took my vehicle (2002 Camry LE V6 with 46,000 KM / 28,500 miles) to my local Toyota Dealer for routine maintenance and requested them to clean the throttle body. When I got it back today, I noticed that the idle speed at warm-up is no longer about 600 RPM but close to 1000 RPM. Now the car seems to move quicker (albeit take more gas) and shifting from park to drive, I can feel a noticeable shift difference (due to the higher idle speed).

Is this normal after a cleaning and will it adjust automatically or do I need to take it back now for adjustment? I only drove about 10 KM or 6 miles from the time I picked up the car.

Thanks

Reply to
Car Guy

Do you think that the computer could need a re-setting (take the battery out of circuit for a few minutes and re-install)? I would take it back or call them to find out.

Best regards,

RG

Reply to
RG

Reply to
Harlen Ng

I did some driving and added about 40 miles to the car now and the idle speed has now dropped back to the 600 rpm level. I guess the onboard computer needed adjustment.

Reply to
Car Guy

Let me guess. When you picked it up the second time it had finger prints. I did some scotch taping once to see if work was done. At least they found my scotch tape.

Reply to
Art Begun

In news:b5MBb.2906$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com, Car Guy being of bellicose mind posted:

The ECM controls an idle air bleed (AKA: Idle Air Controller). Various transient conditions warrant raising the idle speed a bit until the condition changes. This could be excessive gasoline vapor coming into the engine from hot gasoline, higher altitude, A/C turned ON, or even changes in fuel quality. 600 rpm in Park was a bit too low which suggests NOW the IAC is moving freely again and doing its job.

Reply to
Philip®

"Car Guy" spake unto the masses in news:b5MBb.2906$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

When I cleaned the throttle body on both the MR2 and the Integra, the idle RPMs increased significantly in both instances. I had to dial both of them back down by hand with the idle speed screw on the throttle body as the idle did not decrease with distance driven.

The Integra's was done as part of a Motorvac service by a local garage. The MR2's was done by me in our driveway.

I can only surmise that fuel/air delivery efficiency was improved by the cleaning, resulting in an increase in idle speed.

Reply to
Tegger®

Oh, so your one of those guys. I see your little traps all the time. Must be embarrasing to have to ask the tech some questions regarding the repair. Art, at our dealership, if you pay for the service, you will get it!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Reply to
IceMan

Thanks for the info. Vehicle is working properly after driving 25 miles and the engine computer adjusted the air increase.

Reply to
Car Guy