How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

Anybody know how I can change the idle speed in my Santa Fe ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jerimiah

Re-program the computer?

If you want to go up, you may be able to put a physical block in the throttle linkage, if you want to go down, I doubt you can do much.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" ha scritto nel messaggio news:Skz6i.7976$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net...

But the point is, why?

Reply to
Zotto

'Anybody know how I can change the idle speed in my Santa Fe ? Thanks.'

REPLY: I went thru this with my Hyundai local Service Dept soon after i got my 2002 SantaFe as i didnt like the unecessary high revs when the car was first started (especially in sub zero temps). They said that its just the way it comes from the factory. After a bit of questioning and personal exploration, I learned the workings of the device that controls Idle Speed on this SUV. Its a black colored device located right next to the throttle valve assembly and its held on by 2 bolts with a plug in wire harness. It is simple to remove . Inside, there are two small holes about the size of a dime. I got some sheetmetal and cut a perfect template to fit the entire flanged area of the Device . I then made two smaller holes in the sheetmetal directly over the present holes in the Device , used sealant on the perimeter of the sheetmetal template (both sides), then applied it before putting the Device back on. Started up the car, and the idle was too low and nearly stalled the car. So, i removed it again , made the holes slightly larger in the sheetmetal , and reassembled. Fired up the car and the idle speed was to my liking.

Before, the idle speed when cold, was almost 2,000 rpms and when warmed up was 950 rpms. Now, it is 1200 rpms and 800 rpms respectively. I picked up 1 mpg more in fuel economy and the transmission shifts far smoother when going from Park to Drive and Park to Reverse.

Dont know if you want to go to the trouble as i did, but its a simple permanent cure , doesnt cause any codes to come up, nobody can tell from the outside of the Device thats its been altered, and has the benefits as i described above.

Dave

2002 SantaFe 2.7 litre
Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Your idle speed is controlled by computer. *Do not* adjust the cable to hold the throttle open as suggested by another poster. This will result in other undesireable symptoms and possibly a check engine lamp.

Why do you wish to change the idle speed?

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks.

Reply to
Jerimiah

It's currently "idling" at about 2,000rpm which also causes problems with the gear changing. In my old car I used to just turn a screw to adjust the idling.

Cheers.

Reply to
Jerimiah

I also miss the days when I could turn a screw to adjust the idle and if your engine stopped running you could quickly diagnose and fix it. They're over. Rigging up something to change your idle speed is asking for trouble. Hyundaitech said it best- it WILL result in other undesirable symptoms. The reason it idles fast sometimes is to warm it to operating temperature quickly, saving fuel and reducing pollution. Turn your radio up and know the computer is doing it's job well.

Reply to
Bob

Ah, then you don't want to change the idle speed, you want to fix the underlying problem. Yes, there is something wrong if it is idling at 2k rpm. There can be a lot of reasons for that, such as sticking throttle linkage, bad sensors, broken vacuum lines, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Intake air temp sensor?

Reply to
Zotto

I don't miss them at all. Last time I had a car quit on my was my '83 Olds Cutlass with 150,000 miles on it. Last time I had to fiddle with an idle screw was, well, a very long time ago. Overall, the reliability of today's engines and the amount of "tuneup" they need is far superior than anything from the good old days.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Probably not. Air temp is a minor player in fuel management. Coolant temp is a much more likely cause.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I'm with Edwin. If your idle continues at 2000 RPM anytime other than immediately after a cold start, there's something wrong that needs to be corrected. You might start by checking for vacuum leaks or, if your check engine lamp is on, having the codes read.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

I thought so as if there is a reading of a very low temperature at startup idle speed is increased.

Reply to
Zotto

'Yes, there is something wrong if it is idling at 2k rpm. =A0 There can be a lot of reasons for that, such as sticking throttle linkage, bad sensors, broken vacuum lines, etc.'

REPLY: Not according to my local Hyundai Dealerships Service Dept ; they said 2000 rpms upon a cold start is how it comes from the factory and no external anomoly is causing it.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

REPLY: Not according to my local Hyundai Dealerships Service Dept ; they said 2000 rpms upon a cold start is how it comes from the factory and no external anomoly is causing it.

But there is a difference between start up and normal idling. He did not mention it was only at starup, but did give the impression it was constant. Perhaps clarification is needed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not according to my local Hyundai Dealerships Service Dept ; they said 2000 rpms upon a cold start is how it comes from the factory and no external anomoly is causing it. 'But there is a difference between start up and normal idling. He did not mention it was only at starup, but did give the impression it was constant. Perhaps clarification is needed.'

REPLY: Perhaps he could clarify for us, but, I think he would have indicated 'all of the time' if it were not just upon cold startup.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

I think he would have said "on startup" if it was not happening all the time. Startup speed in influenced by temperature and what used to be choke settings for a richer mixture. That is all computer controlled now, of course, My impression is that you set the idle for a normal run speed as opposed to a startup situation.

I guess clarification is needed rather than the generic, "how do I change idle speed"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The problem has now been fixed. As alluded to by Edwin Pawlowski and hyundaitech, the cause was a split and collapsed vaccum hose between the inlet manifold and the rocket cover. A new $30 hose did the trick. Thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
Jerimiah

Glad is was something simple. Ed

Reply to