TIMING BELT

Well I called the local place about the timing belt for the

1998 toyota camry ce 4 cyclinder. and they are telilng me they can check and see if it has been changed and in the event it broke, there would be no engine damage because there isn't enough power ??

Does this make sense??

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
Josh

No, it doesn't. The 5SFE engine has sufficient clearance between the open valves and the piston crown to not constitute a problem if the cam stops while the engine is revving. Power has nothing to do with it.

Jason James

Reply to
Jason James

What, what about the 6 cyl. engine in the 99 Camry?

Reply to
SHARX..

From posts in this forum in the past, the same applies for the V6s. Dont know if the new alloy V6 is the same, but would be surprised if Toyota suddenly changed their design criteria.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The new 3.3L V6 in the Camry SE is an interference engine.

--
Alan Shutko  - I am the rocks.
Reply to

pas.earthlink.net

Ooops,...live and learn! The increase in swirl or mixture agitation is probably worth it for power and economy.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

If it is an interference engine, then it probably has a chain driving the camshaft rather than a belt.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Nope, according to our dealer, the 3.3L is still a timing belt. If memory serves, recommended interval change is 105K.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-this.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton