Timing Belt

I purchased my 1998 camry when it had 90K miles on it and now it has 120K. I believe from what I have read that the timing belt needs to be changed at

  1. How do I know if it has been changed?? Should I go ahead and have it changed?

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
JOSHUA YOUNGBLOOD

If it wasnt advertised as a selling point , which it is then it probably was not changed and should be.

Reply to
m Ransley

Even if it had had been changed at 60k, it's due for another change. Have it changed.

Reply to
Alan Shutko

Josh, yours is due at 90K intervals. At that range, I'd do a water pump too. Next time in will be 180K. Use OE parts, especially the water pump.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

also make sure ALL seals are replaced on that side of the engine while the belt is being done, it wont add that much to the cost and will make sure you have no leaks pop up later.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I've seen stickers put on the timing cover with a date and mileage. Or sometimes it's written somewhere in marker. Chances are it wasnt changed if you bought it at 90k.

Reply to
Rex

Is the 1MZFE engine an interference engine? Some people in this thread say that they bent valves on non-interference engines. How is that possible?

Scot

Reply to
Scot

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Scot being of bellicose mind posted:

It's not possible. To qualify as a non-interference engine, the engine must be capable of being spun with no cam drive device in operation.

Reply to
Philip®

Scot, that engine is not an interference engine, but technically, any engine could be with carbon build up. The new 3.3 or 5VZFE is an interference engine.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

That engine should of read 5MZFE (04 Camry/Solara), not the 5VZFE (Tacoma/4Runner)

Reply to
MDT Tech®