Tire Balancing vs Something More Major?

Okay, the other day I accidentally drove a quarter of a mile with the parking brake on. It felt like I was going to have a tire blowout - that's when I realized the brake was on. Ever since, the ride of my car has been a bit harder, a bit bumpier. It's not a HUGE problem, but I can feel it beneath the driver's seat and it's kind of uncomfortable.

I only mention the parking brake because of the timing, but I doubt it's a brake problem since it happens when I'm in drive. I thought maybe it was a tire problem, but a visual inspection doesn't indicate anything wrong. My Camry has only 14,000 miles on it, so I doubt it's a suspension problem, though who knows.

My question...What does your car feel like when the tires need balancing? I figure that would be one place to start.

Or, what else might the problem be?

Other info

- Steering is fine; no vibration or pulling to right or left.

- Seems much the same regardless of road condition - pitted or smooth - though I suppose it's more comfortable on smooth surfaces

- I don't notice any bouncing up or down. When I look in thru the front and rear windows, I don't see things bobbing up and down.

Thanks.

Reply to
rex72

Well to give you an idea of what I saw twice. Once a car pulled in the repair shop while I was there, his one wheel was smoking, they pulled it in and the mechanic could not touch the wheel it was so hot, maybe

600-900f . Later they said the caliper locked. the breaks were ruined and even the fluid hose and other things went bad. Once I saw someone drive with their parking break on till it was smoking. I will guess you are looking at easily 7-900f enough heat to do alot of damage even to a conecting rod bushing or the strut if the heat got inside. Nobdy knows how hot anything got so have a mechanic go over it. Pads ,rotors , break fluid and line could be bad even the grease in the wheel bearings could be gone.
Reply to
m Ransley

I forgot if it got that hot the tire bead could be ruined, meaning a new tire. The car that I saw pull in the garage was smoking. That much heat will damage everything surronding it, alot of money to fix right.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reading your post again 1/4 mile or a few minutes didnt make enough heat to likely affect anything. 10-20 minutes would. But have someone pull the wheels and look. What do you mean you thought you were going to have a blowout.

Reply to
m Ransley

Yeah, I'd go with the 'let someone check it out' option. Most places will inspect without obligation - you just need one you trust.

A quarter-mile isn't that far but it's still 1320 feet with the brakes applied - more than enough time to create a serious heat problem. As has been mentioned, a lot of things come together at a wheel - multiple functions with a lot of small parts.

Out of balance wheels usually vibrate. You have no vibration in the steering, so it could be a back wheel. This might explain the extra bumpiness you feel. And, parking brakes work off the rear brakes [either only or mostly]. Maybe you did pop a balance weight in the rear. Of course it could be anything. A visual inspection of a tire is just step 1. You ruled out anything obvious; now you need to let someone look for anything hidden.

Reply to
Hopkins

On 01 Jul 2005, you wrote in alt.autos.toyota.camry:

The car just felt kind of wobbly or rough. And the only time I'd experienced that before was during a tire blowout. But in this case, it was just the parking brake on.

But it's been feeling much the same ever since, though way less intense. I don't think anything *major* is wrong, but it's a bit uncomfortable driving. Whatever it is, I feel it directly beneath me in the driver's seat.

Reply to
rex72

I agree with get it checked. You have a possibility that one of several things could be wrong. One of the first I'm thinking is a possible tread seperation on a tire, which could lead to blow-out and possible loss of control. I agree that leaving the parking brakes on for a short time was just coincidental and not part of the problem. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92