Toyota'98 camry wouldn't start, only 66k miles.

I could believe this low mileage car died suddenly and couldn't start. This toyota'98 v4 auto, had to be towed away and later diagnosed at mechanic shop for a suspected feul pump problem at cost of $500, he is not sure of exact problem. Could it be possible for mechanic to be unsure of the problem ? And how much possiblity of feul pump to die. Any response would be appreciated.

Reply to
sn008

Is it possible for the mechanic to be unsure?! You know, I have heard of one or two isolated cases, but cannot recall the specifics at the moment, mostly because of the infrequency of occurence.Ha.

Sarcasm button off, I suppose it's possible that the 'feul' pump is gone, but we rarely see that failure on any toyota anymore. But, if your mechanic knows what he's doing and did the proper testing in the proper places to determine that the pump is bad, then go with it. Bottom line is be sure your guy knows what he's talking about before you toss 500 bucks at a new pump.

Reply to
qslim

Does seem kind of odd that the pump would go at such an early age, BUT, it is not unheard of. Did the car sit for a long time (8-12 months or more) without being started. Since it is low miles for that car, it may ahve sat and the fuel pump 'dried out'. This happened to my car...twice! What a pain at $490 a pop!

Reply to
hachiroku