97 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2litre, 4 cyl, 100k miles - keeps dying

My Cavalier has been back and forth to the mechanic for weeks now because it keeps dying when idling or moving very slowly in traffic and he can't seem to find the cause and hasn't been able to duplicate the problem while it's in the shop. It feels as if the power just cuts out- although everything still works (radio, air, blinkers). It has started again only a couple of times right away, but a few times would not start and had to be towed - only to arrive at the shop to start again. Finally they were able to duplicate the failure and said it was the fuel pump - replaced that and the relay only for me to pick it up and have it die again the following week. Again they couldn't duplicate the problem and returned it to me. It seems to happen in the rain, or recently damp weather we have finally concluded after I was stranded again this weekend in the pouring rain. Someone pushed me to the side since it wouldn't start for 10 minutes in the middle of the road and then it started right up again. Any help is much appreciated.

Reply to
AmyGGG

Shep

Has anyone looked at the computer for codes? This is a problem where the OBDII scanner could give you tons of information..

Reply to
Woody

"AmyGGG" wrote: 97 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2litre, 4 cyl, 100k miles

Cavalier keeps dying when idling or moving very slowly in traffic. Mechanic can't find the cause, can't duplicate the problem. Power just cuts out- everything else still works (radio, air, blinkers). Sometimes restarts right away, Sometimes won't start, towed to shop, starts upon arrival. Shop replaced fuel pump and relay, car died next week. Shop can't duplicate the problem, and gave up. It seems to happen in the rain or damp weather. It quit again during rainfall, then restarted 10 minutes later. Any help is much appreciated. _____________________________________________________

Repeated engine quitting and subsequent restarting are classic symptoms of an intermittently failing ignition module. Before throwing more money at the mechanic, throw a few bucks at a new ignition module. You can install one yourself in most cars.

Good luck.

Reply to
Rodan