trans oil change 2005 camry 4cyl-auto-1k miles

confused. dlr says change trans oil every 15k miles. I usually drop the pan and replace the filter on my other camry every 30k miles. Dlr says you don't have to change trans oil until 15k because it is "hermetically sealed". I don't know what that means but i would like to eliminate any metal shavings asap. can anyone help me here? I intend to change the engine oil at 1k with the recommended 5w-30. I have dexron III for the trans. i hope this is adequate. thanks in advance.

Reply to
humblejohn

Aren't there magnets attached to the inside of the tranny pan to help catch any metal shavings ?

Changing tranny fluid every 15k miles is excessive. Every 30k is more like it.

Oil change at 1k miles ?

Wait a minute, is this a brand new car ?

Reply to
Hopkins

Aren't there magnets attached to the inside of the tranny pan to help catch any metal shavings ?

Changing tranny fluid every 15k miles is excessive. Every 30k is more like it.

Oil change at 1k miles ?

Wait a minute, is this a brand new car ?

Reply to
Hopkins

If the car is NEW:

- You can change the oil after about 2500 miles with 5W30. These cars do not have break in oils anymore. When I got my 2002 Camry LE V6, I changed the oil every 2500 miles and after 15000 miles, I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 and change the oil every 5,000 miles now.

- The Camry's from 2002 and up use Toyota T-IV and NOT Dextron III. Make sure before doing the flush that you use OEM Toyota fluids and not the Dextron III with additives. The price you pay for the OEM Fluid is not much compared to a new trannie. I do a drain and fill on my Camry every 25,000 miles and the fluid looks in very good shape.

- "Hermetically sealed" refers to the transmission system as being completely sealed, especially against the escape or entry of air. As far as I know, most cars should have sealed systems as air in the lines could cause issues. Changing the fluid every 25K miles with Toyota T-IV would be just fine. Easy way to look at the fluid is if it is pink, it is fine. If it darkens a bit, and you are eager to change it, feel free but use the OEM Fluid.

Reply to
Car Guy

On the tran fluid dip stick, it says the fluid does not need to be changed under normal driving. And it also says the coolant will last 100K. I'm planning to change both at 100K. Are I going to get into trouble by waiting so long? ZR

Reply to
XYZ ABC

How can the transmission be "hermetically sealed" (air tight) and still have a dip stick?

Just curious.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Good point.

Reply to
Car Guy

Coolant: They have had problems with the new "Extended life" coolant, some brands a while ago were found to not be living up to the interval claims made for them. If you want the car to last a long time change coolant every two years, and use distilled water too and your radiator and water pump may last a bit longer than they normally would.

ATF fluid: Ive always changed ATF in my cars at 15,000 - 30,000 miles and never had transmission work yet. Heat is what kills transmissions because it breaks down the fluid, since heat wears out the additives rapidly and thins it out too much to lubricate the tranny well enough. I believe this is true even for synthetic ATF let alone conventional. I change my ATF cause transmissions are a lot more expensive than fluid. On our Camrys it is easy, since most of them have drain plugs so drain em every 15 to 20 k and just clean the strainer every other time.

Reply to
marc780 via CarKB.com