What are the sources of Engine oil leak

Hi,

I am seeing Engine oil leaks from my 1994 Camry LE 4cyl, 4dr.

Yesterday I checked around Drain plug and no wet/oil around it.. and not from Oil filter (FRAM fiter).

I am seeing drops spread around the Oil Pan and close to Axle.

  1. Does Oil pan have Gasket or possible to leak ??

  1. Any cracks on tubes/lines carrying Engine oil around the Engine ??

Appreciate inputs on how to diagnosize the leak ??

Thanks, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

The oil pan does not have a gasket, no. Toyota uses something called FIPG (form in place gasket), which is a black sealant spread around the edge of the pan before installation. It may very well be leaking considering the age of the vehicle, but the oil that you see may also be from the oil filter. When the oil filter is changed on your car, oil runs down the front of the block and over time invariably weeps around the seam between the bottom of the block and the pan. In other words, residual oil from normal service collects around the top of the pan and can look like it is leaking. Go to the parts store and grab a can or two of brake cleaner and spray off all the oil. The brake cleaner will wash off the oil and leave everything dry. Check the area again before your next oil change. Hope this helps.

Reply to
qslim

Yes. It depends on how careful the kid changing your oil is. But beware -- if you go to your dealer after a sloppy oil change the dealer will want to sell you lots of work to cure the "leak". Some crooked dealers and tranmission places actually have a squeeze bottle of oil that then can use to rig a car with.

Reply to
Stubby

BTW: the transmission can leak too! I had to replace the seals of the AT on my '92 at 300,000kms...

Luc K

Reply to
Luc Kumps

WOw! Hell, one should get at least 3 MILLION kms out of those seals!!!!

Reply to
Sharx35

Besides careless tech doing oil changes. How high do you see the leaks come from? Sure, the oil pan gasket (form-in-place) may be due for a re-seal.

Also cam shaft seal, oil pump seal and crank seal. You have to take the timing cover off to check these. These leak behind covers and show up near the bottom. Rear main seal if you see oil between the engine and the transmission.

Valve cover gasket, particularly on the back side against the firewall leaks will be harder to see there.

Reply to
johngdole