2001 Accord oil leak

I checked the oil in my 01 Accord 4 cyl (5 speed) today and it's down about

1/2 quart. It's about 1/2 way between the add and full marks. I have known something was leaking slowly underneath the car for a while because it's been wet along the bottom of what I thought was the bellhousing.

I crawled underneath today and it looks like the leak is around the oil pan gasket. From what I could see, being about 1/2" away from everything, there is some kind of brace bolted to the transmission and engine that covers the right side of the oil pan. That's where the oil seems to be gathering, being the lowest point of the underside of the car more or less.

Is that part I'm seeing just a brace, and does it need to come off to remove the oil pan? Or am I looking at a potential leak from the transmission?

I'm still trying to find even just a Haynes manual for the car so I can find this stuff out for myself.

Reply to
JM

Howard

automatic transmission fluid is stained red so you can tell leaks apart from engine oil leaks. that's a 2-second diagnosis and an oily finger.

Reply to
jim beam

Except that it's a 5 speed manual trans. I guess these days "5 speed" can mean an auto or manual so I should have used different terminology.

Reply to
JM