Where is receiver/dryer on 88 Camry I4?

Its the I4 wagon, 3SFE engine. I recharged the A/C recently, switched to R-134. I could not find the receiver/dryer to watch the sight glass, so I just put in one 11 oz can of Quest R134 w/oil. It should take about 17 oz for a full charge of R134, as the R12 charge was 21 oz. Anyway after putting in the entire can, the vents were blowing cold air, and it looked like the pressures were going to climb too high with more refrigernt anyway, so I stopped there. THe factory service manual for 3SFE shows one of the lines going back to the firewall along the LEFT side of the engine compt., and the receiver/dryer is on this line. However, on mine, both lines are on the RH side, and run right together, passing between teh top of the upper timing cover and the RH strut tower. I have not spotted any receiver/dryer on these lines...but There HAS to be a receiver/dryer somewhere! I must be blind or something, its got to be there. I was expecting it to be up at the front on the RH side of the condenser. Just where is this supposed to be? Well, there is some cooling now, but it is not as cold as it should be, so I will probably vent the R134, evacuate and try another refill. THanks, Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

on my 91 I4 it is on the RH side of the radiator. Mine was also hard to find because it was covered with a thick grey coating of dust that was probably collected for 15 years, and was hard to clean because there is no convenient access to the sight glass. Try to use a long slim brush, and you probably would need a flashlight too since it is buried under pipes/wires (I don't remember exactly) which block most of the ambient light from it.

Reply to
bauz

If the only thing you did was to add 134 you will probably be replacing the compressor soon. The old mineral oil used with R12 is not compatable with R134

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

No, I used a can of Quest R134 that has R134, ester oil, stop leak also. Specifically for conversion. thanks for the info on receiver-dryer location, no wonder I didn't spot it--- buried in there and probably got an equal amount of crud accumulated on it.