'04 Tacoma, muffler- expensive!

My '04 Tacoma muffler is failing. Apparently I need to replace the tail pipe and a small pipe in front of the muffler- it's all one piece. Toyota wants
almost $600.
The local Midas is asking $450.
The local Meinike muffler shop said they could replace just the muffler for under $200.
The Midas guy said that the Meinike muffler would be a generic that would fail within a year or two- whereas the "all one piece" unit is guaranteed for life- so I suppose I'll go with Midas. I do intend to keep the truck for many more years.
But, the repair prices on this truck, which I'm just beginning to see- seem exorbitant!
Comments? Joe

Learn to do your own simple repairs.
Exhaust is a simple repair, save yourself hundreds.
what a callous asinine response

SnoBrdr is somewhat correct. For a new Taco, apparently changing the exhaust is a bolt-on affair, as evidenced by some of the customer comments on Flowmaster's web site (mfr of performance exhausts). You may not even need a lift if the truck has good ground clearance. For older trucks where bolts may be rusted and O2 sensor bosses seized, it could take a significant amount of work to remove the old pipes.
Pages from the factory service manual: http://ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/em2rzfe3/exhsys/comp.pdf http://ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/em5vzfe/exhsys/comp.pdf
-- War is the continuation of politics by other means. It can therefore be said that politics is war without bloodshed, and war is politics with bloodshed.

Yes, your's is ...

it was not meant to be that at all.
I guess if that's the way you took it, then you have issues.

Guaranteed for life - sure - but if it isn't stainless steel you WILL be replacing it every couple of years - and you can have a custom stainless system made and installed for a lot tless than $450 - at least up hear. L&M custom bent products in Burford Ontario has done all my exhaust work for the last 15 years - and I've never had to replace what they've put on. Ant the guarantee at midas covers the muffler - not the labour to install or other parts required.
On Jul 24, 7:08pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Stainless steel is the way to go no doubt about it.
A complete SS exhaust system including muffler should cost about $450-500. A complete standard system would cost about $225-300. (Yes, Toyotas system is OEM and last the same amount of time your original did, and that's why it cost a premium). But considering that a stainless system should last twice as long as Toyota's system (and 2-3 times as long as others), it's a very good investment if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time.
Labor is where you're getting hit and is probably costing about $125-175. Now try imagining paying labor multiple times for multiple standard exhaust systems and you'll see it's really a no-brainer.
If you can't install the system yourself, you could try finding some local gear head kids to do it for you for half the cost regular shops cost. The removal and install is really not that difficult at all. Shouldn't take anymore than 2 - 2 1/2 hours in a driveway.
I have to change the exhaust on my truck also...
I found a new Magnaflow SS high performance cat-back system on eBay for $300. + $20. shipping from a guy who bought it off eBay, and never took it out of the box to install it. Regular price is $485. + $10. shipping.
Plus I'll install it myself at a friends garage for $0. Total savings = app. $300.
Many shops will not install parts that the customer buys unless you know them well enough.

Yea, like flat rate labor at $90 isn't enough, they 'need' the 70% markup on parts, well that's if they don't mark it up more!

Check online warehouses for a catback assembly. About a year ago I was able to purchase a Bosal Catback assembly from one of the online warehouses for $125 with a lifetime warranty. It took me all of about 45 minutes to change it out on my Toyota 4x4 and I didn't even have to lift the truck. I purchased mine through Autoparts Warehouse but it did take about 3 weeks for delivery. Another good source for parts is Rockauto.com, they usually have parts from multiple manufacturers and a very good search tool.
The muffler may well have a lifetime guarantee but the problem is that the rest of the pipes have a very limited warranty.
The last one I did on a 2000 4x4, AutoZone had the parts in stock, lifetime warranty on the muller.
From the cat back cost less than $150.
It's very easy to do.