1985 FJ-60 Miss and High Hydrocarbon levels

Hi,

I recently bought a 1985 FJ-60 with a carburated 2F engine that has a miss at idle. When I took it in for a smog test, it had a high hydocarbon level at idle, and failed the emissions test. The mechanic I took it to said that the miss, high hydrocarbon levels and the strong "burnt smell" that's evident sometimes after driving the thing are all likely caused by a leaky exhaust manifold gasket. Now, I've seen on the boards that replacing the exhaust manifold gaasket is a real chore and requires alot of time/effort, and the labor estimate the mechanic gave me seems to indicate this as well.

My question is, does it sound like I'm getting hosed? How could an exhaust manifold leak be causing a miss? I'm not an expert by any means, but this diagnosis sounds peculiar to me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill, a miss will give you high HC's (hydrocarbon is unburnt fuel) and I'd fine the reason for the miss. Beleive it or not, a lean condition can create a miss giving you high HC's. There is an idle mixture screw on the carb, remove the plug and back this out, this has fixed many high HC's/miss at idle on ones I've dealt with. Its in the middle near the base of the carb on the side toward the valve cover.

Reply to
MDT Tech®