1985 Toyota pickup 2 wheel drive

This truck has been sitting for about 9 years not started or driven. I have it running some it usually takes me pouring gas in caraburetor to get it running but then it will run if you keep gas peddle in about half way I did get it to run and drive it just a short distance. Will not idle. Norman

Reply to
NormB

Before I bought my 1987 it sat for a year or so without running except for being started every once in a while. I could never get it to idle right despite much BG44K run through it. I also tried cleaning the carb internally but it didn't help. I finally put a Weber on it. I wish you luck. Al

Reply to
al

The carburetor needs to be rebuilt. The kits only cost about $65, but it is very tedious and complex. I have done 2 carb rebuilds for toyota 22Rs and it is a bit of a pain, but buying a rebuilt carb runs around $250 to $300.

I would also recommend draining the gas tank and refilling with premium gas with some octane booster.

And replace the fuel filter, it is clipped to the frame right in front of the passenger side rear wheel.

Some of the vacuum hoses may be dried out so check them. You can buy lengths of vacuum hose at any parts store.

They are really tough trucks to kill, but if abandoned any carbed vehicle with gum up.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Check that electric Fuel Shutoff Solenoid. It can get clogged with crud. If so, it's a quick and cheap fix. Also, drain the float bowl. Be careful.

Reply to
Jeff

NormB: I agree with everyone here - do something about that carburetor and get rid of that old gas.

Ernie: Is there a simple way to check for vacuum leaks? I have no idea how to do it, and I suspect my truck may have several. The vacuum hoses slide >

Reply to
jp2express

The best way to check for vacuum leaks is to put a vacuum gauge on it. The simple combination vacuum/fuel pressure gauges work well and are fairly cheap. Make sure you choose a vacuum line that is directly seeing intake manifold vacuum. Many of the vacuum hoses carry modulated vacuum instead of full manifold vacuum. Choose a line running to the intake manifold and not some vacuum switch. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

The other guy mentions using a vacuum gauge, which will work.

If you can get the engine to idle, simply spraying the hose with carb cleaner will tell you quickly if there is a leak. The vacuum in the hose will suck in the carb cleaner, causing the engine to speed up.

If I were you I would just replace the vacuum hoses. It is a cheap fix.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler