1987 Toyota 4x4 spare holder

Hi: I am new to the group.I have had several Toyota's in the past but only one true love...a 1987 4x4 -22r with 170K on it. I need to find a new way to hold my spare tire.The chain hoist rig under the box rusted so bad I had to torch it off and now I need a replacement or a new system...any ideas out there that work?It is a hassle taking the spare out everytime I have to haul something.Thanks Goaty...in Western Virginia

Reply to
Vencil Selvage

Geta used one and keep it lubed periodically. I've heard of folks taking the chain hoist off every year and soaking it overnight in old motor oil before the winter sets in. Or I think the newer Toyotas use a cable-style hoist. Not sure if its any better than the chain type. Or, my old VW pickup has a spare tire holder that hinges down off the bottom of the bed. You use a jack to raise it up with the tire in place then thread a bolt up into a welded nut to hold the spare up there. Not too daunting with a light weight 13" spare, but a full size 15" wheel and tire could be a bear.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown

chain hoist off every year and soaking it

Toyotas use a cable-style hoist. Not sure if its

that hinges down off the bottom of the bed. You

welded nut to hold the spare up there. Not too

could be a bear.

They all have that problem. My 88 was rusted into a solid clump and I had to do the same thing you did to get it out. Here's what I did:

  1. Buy one that actually works from a boneyeard - finding one won't be easy, they're probably all just about like yours.
  2. Take it completely apart and take it to one of those do-it-yourself blasting places. Look for media blasting or sandblasting in the Yellow Pages. Blast every single part of it with aluminum oxide to bare white metal. It should look just like pewter when you're done.
  3. Either paint it the same day with a good automotive epoxy primer and paint or have everything powder coated.
  4. Put it back together and grease the Hell out of it with white lithium grease - the stuff you get for garage door rails and car door hinges. Really snot it up good with this stuff and once a year, use WD40 to cut off the old grease (it's actually a solvent, not really a lubicant even though it's commonly used as one) and re-lithium it all over again. It also helps to actually crank the tire up & down a few times throughout the year to keep the mechanism from freezing up again.

This is just what I did and it worked great for me. I live in the salt belt (Wisconsin) so this should work for anyone, but it's a bit of work to do. Depends how bad you want the original tire holder under the bed.

Cheers, - Jeff G

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

I had this problem, the new spare tire hoist costs about 75 from the dealer and is still readily available, i put it on 2 years ago and have been filling it up with lithium grease at oil changes and its been working fine.

Reply to
toyota1