1994 Toyota 4x4 develops miss after warm up

I recently installed a new/rebuilt long block into my 1994 Toyota 4x4 pickup. During the install I encountered a problem where I was getting a large amount of water in the oil pan. The problem was an alignment pin on the timing cover...I had two in one hole. I repaired the leak and been driving it to work for the past week.

At initial start-up and during 95% of the drive (25 min highway drive) I experience no problems. When I park and let the truck drop to idle speed there is a miss. I have noticed it at a stop light after about

20 min worth of driving. It does the same thing on the way home starts fine idles fine during the first part of my trip, but once i make it home the miss is back.

Any ideas? Could it be related to residual water in the oil from the initial leak? Spark plug wires (the only part i didn't replace during the install of the rebuilt longblock)? Could the valves need adjusting?

Reply to
Brad

It shouldn't be caused by the water leak but you should have changed the oil if it had water in it.If you haven't already changed the oil, do it NOW. Water in the oil can cause bearing damage, coolant in the water will speed up the process. Spark plug wires should cause a miss under load, not at idle. If the valves were not adjusted properly ( too tight ) it could cause the symptoms you describe. I would recheck the valve adjustment. Did you have this problem before the engine swap ?

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike
< It might not hurt to wait but if you are having problems it might be a

I am bringing the core back to the machine/rebuild shop in the morning. I will run it by them and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks for the tips. I will post my results.

R/ Brad

Reply to
Brad

Could a bad knock sensor cause this type of problem. Mine is broken off. I have one on order. I have no clue what the knock sensor does except for make my check engine light come on.

Reply to
Brad

Refresh...

****** At initial start-up and during 95% of the drive (25 min highway drive) I experience no problems. When I park and let the truck drop to idle speed there is a miss. I have noticed it at a stop light after about 20 min worth of driving. It does the same thing on the way home starts fine idles fine during the first part of my trip, but once i make it home the miss is back *******

I have put close to 500 miles on the new engine. The miss seems to be getting less and less noticable, but is still there. I replaced the broken knock sensor, so I have no check engine light any more.

Also I talked to the machine shop that rebuilt my engine and was told there was no need to check the valve clearance or retorque the head bolts....

Reply to
Brad