1988 PickUp Brake Blues

Well, after taking a couple weeks to replace my calipers and brake pads in the front, the e-brake cable, and various brake tubes (all after work while trying to paint my house, take care of kids, etc.) and not yet getting to the rear brakes, I noticed push-through when coming to a stop (i.e. if I kept pushing on the brake peddle after coming to a stop the peddle would push-through scarily), so I decided to take it into Toyota to do the back brakes and make sure everything was alright. Cue foreboding music.

In the space of three weeks the back brakes that needed replacing had suddenly become fine and now only the bleed-valves (or cylinder valves) needed to be replaced, as they were frozen and they couldn't bleed them. $300. And, the master cylinder was probably going bad, hence the push-through, so now we're at $750. After dropping it off last Wednesday, they finally got the parts by yesterday and were supposed to start on everything this morning, as my wife and kids are leaving town for a week today.

Well, I just got a call from Toyota and when they were taking the master cylinder out the brake booster "came apart." Is that possible? Normal? A Force Majeure event? So now that's an additional $500 and a

2-3 week wait. He said that he could look around for a re-manufactured brake booster, but that's not something they normally do. How does this sound to our resident Toyota experts?

Blue in NH,

mothy

Reply to
mothy

On a related note, what online remanufactured part supply houses have our Toyota afficianados had luck with? It seems like I get the same parts coming up on different website front-ends, perhaps all coming from the same yard..? (i.e.

etc.).

Thanks,

mothy

mothy wrote:

Reply to
mothy

I don't buy remanufactured parts. In years past I've been burned by too many "rattlecan rebuilds."

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

Toyota Brake Booster: $500+ NAPA Remanufactured: $175 Me: bankrupt

Do you see my quandary?

Yours,

mothy

Mike Harris wrote:

Reply to
mothy

Mothy,

I understand completely...

I also understand:

NAPA remanufactured $175 Tow home $80 Miss a day of work because your truck broke (insert $ here) Pulling it all apart again in three weeks to replace (under warranty) $0, but _so_much_fun_ Tow home $80 Miss a day of work because your truck broke (insert $ here) Pulling it all apart again six months later, this time out of warranty $175 Repeat ad infinitum You: Gradually kicked to death by tiny bunny rabbits

"Remanufacturers" count on the fact that purchasers of their product are price-point shoppers and don't put any emphasis on quality beyond getting it through the warranty period - if that. You may beat these odds - in the past I have not.

So - you pays your money and you takes your choice.

My choice is to either rebuild the unit myself so I _know_ it's done right, or if that's not an option due to lack of tools, skills or etc., find a way to buy the new part. If your choice is to do the remanufactured cha-cha-cha then enjoy, and good luck to you. I'm afraid that I can't be of much assistance in your quest, having tired of that dance long ago.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

Mike,

You make a convincing argument. Toyota is looking into expediting one of theirs, and I'm hoping they can do something about the price. How is Austin? We lived just behind Pease Park for six years, and loved it. Thanks for your counsel.

Yours,

mothy

Mike Harris wrote:

Reply to
mothy

TAP (Toyota Auto Parts) - taprecycling.com sells only used but up to factory spec. original Toyota parts, and the shipping rates are reasonable. They are based in California, but will ship anywhere for cheap. Check it out. Actually, the website is annoying. Just call them at 1-800-765-7100.

mothy wrote:

Reply to
lolo

Be very careful of TAP - They sell you the wrong part and you're stuck with it even if its their mistake. Plus their prices aren't great. Ha I have extra booster in my garage -- from a rusted wreck.

Reply to
Wolfgang

NAPA's a pretty reputable place, I'd use theirs without worry.

I have caught Kragen/Schucks/(what's the other one they own?) doing 'rattlecan rebuilds' on alternators. The fourth one finally worked.

But they all know better than that when it comes to brake components

- if they screw up people can end up dead, and then their heirs sue the parts suppliers...

Any company that rebuilds power boosters or master cylinders right is replacing all the rubber parts, and inspecting the hell out of all the other components before they reuse them. They replace the other wear components with new if there are any questions at ALL about the old ones.

Toyota Genuine Remanufactured should be available, it'll be somewhat pricier than the NAPA but better than the New price - but I've heard when they run short on Reman units they sometimes just put brand new ones in a Reman box...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Bruce,

That's good news for Mothy and I can't say that I've had any experience with Toyota Genuine Remanufactured so can't comment on it one way or another. It certainly seems as though the chance of getting a reliable rebuilt part or even a new at remanufactured price is likely.

That said, I believe that you're wrong about add'l quality control with brake components. I haven't seen it. I've seen pitted cylinders put back into service with the most cursory honing jobs performed, which have destroyed seals within weeks. I've seen m/c resleeved so half-assed that they'll slide in the bore as the pedal is mashed, cutting off fluid flow while in the middle of braking - and believe me when I say that this was a fun one to diagnose. I've gotten box-fresh rebuilt cylinders with threads stripped so badly out of the gate that either the line can't be threaded in or the bleeder can't be closed.

If the remanufacturers screw up, they point to the shade tree mechanic and claim poor installation. "What type of certification did your late husband have in working with brake systems, Mrs Smith? Did he read and follow the safety precautions printed on the box?"

While I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, I consider spending money on remanufactured parts false economy. I also understand that economic considerations may not leave that option open for some, particularly if they aren't going to do their own work. I justify paying relatively high new-part prices by comparing the expenditure to what I'd pay a shop to install a remanufactured part.

OT - Austin is great, Mothy. I'm working with the TXRD Lonestar Rollergirls, one of the few banked-track new school womens' DIY Derby leagues in the world. You may have seen the A&E series. Austin is the Live Music Capital, a film industry hub... and the Mecca for *real* roller derby. Come on out, we'll get you to a bout and I'll introduce you around to some of the skaters.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
harriswest

Hey! Carefull of TAP Recycling - they do not state their full return and "rebuild" policy until you get the part to your door. Then you find out your screwed and can't return anything. I'd check with your LOCAL auto recycler first and go and pick up the part so you can see exactly what you are buying and ask directly about return and rebuild policy. - TAP SUCKS! Don't screw yourself! ZaXXoN

Reply to
William Brown

Well, my long brake nightmare seems to be near its end. After taking the truck in to the Ira Toyota dealer in Manchester, NH on Tuesday, the

1st of August, they initially told me they could replace the master cylinder ($413) and that I could replace the bleed valves in the back myself ($300 if they did it). The following Tuesday, they called me back to tell me that they couldn't just do the master cylinder, because of course without the bleed valves functioning they couldn't bleed the brakes properly, so I'd have to have both things fixed. Okay. Two days later the master cylinder finally came in, but when they took off the old one the power brake booster miraculously fell apart in their hands, so now they needed to order one of those and it would be $500+ and 2-3 weeks from Toyota.

My contact said he'd try to expedite the order from Toyota, and he'd get back to me on Friday. When he didn't call I called and left a message twice and heard nothing back from him. He was on vacation for a couple days. Monday, I left a message and did not hear back from anyone (again). Tuesday morning he calls me to tell me that Toyota cancelled the brake booster order, as there were no brake boosters for a 1988 pickup in America. He tells me that the Service Manager had told me that they could use a remanufactured one if I could order it (which he didn't...I couldn't get anyone to return my calls), so I order it on Tuesday afternoon from NAPA ($195). It comes in on Friday, and I drop it off at the dealership. My contact tells me that he'd like to get the truck done on Saturday, because I've been so patient. I hear nothing from him on Saturday. On Monday (yesterday), he tells me that it's done, and that the bill is $713, and that he gave me a 10% discount because I was so patient. Should I be happy with that? I was afraid that it would be higher-- because I genetically have bad luck-- so the $713 number didn't seem so bad...until I think of the $200 I had to spend at NAPA. Should I expect more from having to walk 6 miles a day to work and back for two weeks, while waiting for my truck to get fixed, while not having any of my messages returned, while having every assurance thrown out as soon as I was off the phone, or should I just admit to myself that this 1988 pickup truck is not going to be typically that easy to fix?

Maybe driving soon in NH,

mothy

Reply to
mothy