1991 4Runner - Lower Ball Joint Replacement

My trusted mechanic just finished some other work on my 91 4Runner and mentioned that my lower right side ball joint is in need of replacement. He's says that for now that the others appear OK. The vehicle has 178,000 miles on it and all ball joints (upper and lower, both sides) were replaced at 115,000. Does it make sense at this point to only replace the defective one, or would it be better to bite the bullet and do all four (or maybe only the lowers on both sides)? I've heard that this is somewhat a chronic issue for this model and that the lower ball joints tend to wear out a bit quicker than the uppers. Insights appreciated.

Reply to
Finnbow

Well my 88 pickup has 298,000 km on it and I have never changed one ball joint but I do keep them greased I did have to change a tie rod end because I damaged the boot off roading I put a new timing belt on at 180,000 km [should have been sooner ] head gaskets at 298,000 and when I removed the heads there was still cross hatch marks in the cylinders I couldn't believe it just like new! another new belt all pulleys and water pump never been changed good for another 100,000 I love my toy!

Reply to
John

Speaking of ball joints, my '88 1/2 ton has never had the ball joints lubed (the factory rubber plugs are still in place). I have about

177,000 miles on the truck.

First, would it be a good idea to install zerk fittings, and if I do, what type of grease should I use? I was an auto mechanic back in the days of no such thing as a sealed ball joint or tierod end... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM