Upper and Lower ball joints in 2000 explorer

For last month had loud sqeeking sound from right front. Thought something needed greasing so took it in to dealer. They say no grease fittings; replace upper and lower control arms(??) . Veh has 58000 miles. Steers and rides good. Is this reasonable? Thanks

Reply to
frank27603

Unfortunately they are correct. for some reason Ford decided to use RSB ball joints and they wear out very fast. I have already changed mine too.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Seems like low miles for ball joints (but may differ according to your demographics)..... I probably find more squeaking sway bar bushings than squeaking ball joints. Much cheaper, but not a sure sure, would be to remove the sway bar bushings and clean them in rubbing alcohol.... after they air dry, coat the inner diameter with dielectric grease (the same stuff used on brake caliper slides). and reinstall. I usually coat the ID of new bushing with this stuff at the time of installation.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Had to replace ball joints in my 99 last year with only 53k on the clock. Looks like I'm not the only one that has run into this. IIRC, the uppers have to be change with the entire control arm, the lowers do not.

Reply to
Jason S

Reply to
Captain Coleman