Re: Ball Joint and Tie Rod replacement

I posted this message here a while back

>Since then I have bought the parts and I plan on doing the job on one >of the coming weekends, but I am unclear what special tools besides a >pickle fork I need. I am willing to invest in tools and as this truck >is my only vehicle, once I have it apart and need to get something, I >will rely on a friend or two to be on standby and drive me to the >parts/tool store in case I need something. > >Do I need a puller? Do I need a spring compressor? Especially latter >I am not sure yet how to handle the spring. Also, I plan on drilling >the original rivets out, just wondering if I will be able to get to >the upper ones with the drill. > >Bottom line, there should be someone amongst the readers here who has >done this before and can share his experience. > >Axel > >2000 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD V8 5.9l 135,000 miles

On my dodge van the top ball joint is screwed in and takes one hell of a big socket. IIRC I had to make one.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Which series (1500 or bigger?) and was it 4x4 or not?

Reply to
PeterD

Mine is a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD

Axel

Reply to
axel

Just looked at some pics of replacement upper and lower ball joints for a

2000 Ram 1500 2WD... both are bolt-in. The lower is four bolts, and the upper is three. Of course the factory ones are riveted, so once they're drilled out, the replacement will bolt in place.

For some reason, vans were different, and did indeed have threaded-in ball joints. So, that makes vans threaded ball joints, 2WD pickups riveted ball joints, and 4WD pickup trucks pressed-in ball joints.

They must like to keep us all guessing... :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence