1996 Toyota T100 Suspension Noise: Clues, Please?

My friend has the aforementioned truck and IIRC said it has around 120k miles on it. She often drives it in fairly dusty conditions. She says it sounds like a bucket of bolts when being driven, with reference to the suspension system. (She's pretty handy and thoughtful, so I believe her when she says she thinks it is the suspension system.)

I suggested checking the rubber bushings in the control arms (assuming they exist; they do in my old Honda); the engine mounts (not the suspension system); and maybe the ball joints (though she and I think she'd more than likely see a catastrophic outcome sooner rather than later if the ball joints were failing).

No particularly unusual noises emanate, suggesting, say, a failing CV joint. It's simply not as smooth a ride as it once was.

I will be googling but would welcome any impressions folks here might have.

Can anyone else suggest other areas on which to focus for this particular older, Toyota pickup truck to give it a smoother, less noisy ride?

Reply to
Elle

Noises are difficult to diagnose without hearing them first hand. Besides the areas you listed, also check to make sure body bolts (especially the bed) are tight, and fender and splash shield fasteners are tight and not missing. Also check the shock absorbers and related bushings.

Reply to
Ray O

Maybe the T100 has the same problem with struts and strut mounts as the Camrys of that period do.

Reply to
badgolferman

Thank you, Ray and Badgolferman. From googling further on the strut mounts, at a minimum replacing them seems appropriate. (The truck actually had new shock absorbers, but probably not new coil springs, installed recently. I do not know if the strut mounts were replaced then.) I remember the mounts on my 91 Civic and can see how replacing them every ten years or so may be justified. My friend currently is considering a new purchase, but I will post any updates that occur.

Reply to
Elle

Our '95 T-100 squeaks and groans like a cheap box spring. It's got

180K miles on it, runs great, and I figure it's entitled to a few quirks.

Not that I wouldn't mind silencing the noise, but I don't think it's worth spending too much time and money on it. If you find a "magic bullet", though, please post it here.

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 T-100 4x4

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck