1996 Toyota Tacoma rough shifting??

Just purchased a used 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. The shifting is rough not sure why. This pickup idles very fast, for about the first 5 minutes, after starting cold. During this initial five minute period shifting is not smooth, especially when shifting into first gear. After the idle returns to normal, shifting is better but not as smooth as I would expect. Do I have a hidden problem? or does the Tacoma just shift roughly. Other than this the pickup the pickup seems fine. Any ideas? Comments welcome.

PS.. I checked the transmission fluid and it appeared clean and was full when checked at the fill point.

Reply to
Ron Olsberg

I've had my 96 4X4 since new and it has always done this. Changing trans fluid once a year with synthetic helps (not Mobil 1). Going from second to first requires a complete stop most of the time

Reply to
PC User

My '84 shifted like a sports car. My '93 was terrible until I switched to RedLine MT-90. A real miracle cure, It shifts almost as good as the old one now. This problem was particularly bad when cold.

Reply to
H Hornblower

Agreed, MT-90 is good stuff for the tranny:

Roger Brown

Do you know about how many quarts the 96 Tacoma 5-Speed tranny holds? If I change it out, do I simply drain the old and add the new? Will the Redline product have a problem with the residule oil left after draining?

Thanks Much for all the replies Ron

Reply to
Ron Olsberg

Check your owner's manual, it should list the fill qty. My '85 (W56 tranny) takes 3.2 qts.:

Drain and refill, no need to flush and a bit of residual oil is not a problem. I usually get my tranny heated up (10-20 miles driving) then pull the plug and let it drip overnight before refilling.

Reply to
Roger Brown

The usual cause of this is just that someone put 80-90 wt lube in it. I will only shift well with the recommended 75w lube.

Reply to
Dan G