1996 Civic rough Transmission shift

I recently bought a used 1996 Civic (first car in my life). Everything is fine except that the transmission shift (from 1 to 2) is a bit rough when the engine is warm. In a cold engine, it shifts smooth (not as smooth as it does for 2-3, though).

I've noticed that if I press a little hard on gas pedal from stop position, the transmission shifting is pretty smooth. A friend of mine drives the same year Toyota and the shifting is not at all noticeable.

I don't know which ATF is there (as the dealer (not a Honda delar) I bought from did not tell me that; also I was not experienced enough to ask for it) but when I took it to a Honda deader recently they said the transmission fluid is good in color and transperancy.

I was wondering if the problems I have mentioned is normal with 1996 Honda. Would a transmission flush wih genuine Honda ATF make any difference? I know there are many experienced Honda users in this group. I would appreciate if you provide any suggestion.

Enayet

Reply to
ExtremeValue

----------------------

Pick up 4 quarts of Honda Z1 and do a drain-n-fill. Drive it a week and do it again when you see how much it helps. The word 'flush' should be avoided. MonkeyLube wants to sell you on 'flushing' but it's against the Honda rules.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

absolutely. avoid "flush" treatment like the plague - the flushing machines usually contain contaminants that ruin honda transmissions. /only/ do drain and fill. use only honda atf. may need to do it 2 or 3 times to get it back to normal.

Reply to
jim beam

Thanks to all who replied. It certainly helps.

Reply to
ExtremeValue

I used to get the tranny treatment "Transmedic" for my Acura and it worked for me, at least for about 6 month intervals.

Reply to
prettyboy988-google