question re: shifting into low 4 wheel drive

Hello

I'm the new owner of 2003 Tacoma and it is my first 4-wheel drive vehicle I have owned. I have a question regarding shifting in low 4-wheel drive. According to the manual, before shifting into low 4 - the vehicle should be stopped- auto transmission set in neutral - then shift the lever into low 4.

When I do this I can feel the gears (not smooth as when shifting from normal high 2 wheel drive to high 4 wheel drive) in the lever when shifitng in low

  1. After I shift into drive to proceed, the truck lurchs forward (similar to a beginner driving a standard transmission car). This happens just after I go forward in low 4 at the beginning. Is this normal? I'm not much of a mechanic but I'm wondering if the timing of the automatic disconnecting differential needs adjustment?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Reply to
Steve Leong

Hey Steve,

The gear-crunching into 4-Lo is normal. Pretty much happens to everyone. You're basically engaging new gears w/o a clutch.

The lurch forward happened to me at first & I thought it was weird, but after I use it more & more off-road it seems to have smoothed out. Plus: seems simple, but don't drive it like you do in 2-hi or 4-hi. Go easier on the gas pedal when in 4-lo and that helps smooth it out. I made the same mistake when I first started using it, so I'm not sure if it's smoothed out over time or if I just drive it in 4-lo more accommodatingly..

Hope this helps.

Al

------------ Al ( snipped-for-privacy@hboss.net)

HBoss