1998 Toyota Four Runner. Engine warning bulb not working.

I have a 1998 3.4 liter automatic Toyota Four Runner, with the engine warning light not lighting, when the ignition is on, with the truck not started. It's burning way to much fuel, like 19 liters per 100 km combined city/highway driving, while starting, & running fine, but the light is not working, thus, I didn't know I had an issue, till I actually checked my gas mileage. Is there a common problem, causing the lamp to not work? I just recently bought the truck, & don't know the history. There are no wires cut, or corroded, that I can find, & everything works fine, so I believe, there isn't a fuse, or fuselink bad. I'm getting a service manual, next few days, just want any input, on where to strt tracing.Thanks, for your time.

Reply to
Steve Wright

Have you tried hooking up a code reader? The CEL may have failed, but there may still be codes stored.

Reply to
First of One