Re: 5 Speed Tundra

A couple of guesses--

--It's more difficult and costs more to certify a manual transmission vehicle for emission standards...the computer controlled automatic has the engine and transmission working together. Maybe Toyota didn't think the market for the V8 stick would be big enough to cover the cost.

--Maybe Toyota doesn't have a clutch and transmission that can accept the potential abuse and still fit on the Tundra frame and body.

Ken

Why doesn't Toyota offer the customer a V8- 5 speed option in the Tundra > lineup? I'd considered the Tundra until I saw that Toyota forced you to > accept an automatic if you purchased the V8 engine. So I purchased the > Tacoma instead with a 5 speed tranny. > > Rick > Cincinnati > >
Reply to
Ken Shelton

Emissions.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

For a 1/2 ton, its right up there with the F-150 and C/K 1500. As for the workhorse ones, Toyota is going to build a truck that will compete with the F-350 and C/K 3500's. I told you the one half ton was just the camels head in the tent.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Depend on what work you do! I use a 85 2 wheel drive Toy truck to build my house. More that a few trips to HD.

A see a lot of toy on construction sites as well. They are not delivering 5 foot high loads of lumber to the construction site. But neither are most of the Ford 250's or Ram HD sitting at the construction site, with a rack with a ladder and a tool box in the back.

Lots of them in the landscape bus. as well. Seems silly to use one of those big trucks to pull a sm trailer with mowere and blowers.

I regularly pulled a Kobota trackor in a trailer over the Santa Cruz,CA Mountains in my 85 toy 2x4. Use the 95 T-100 for a lot more. Gave my 85 2x4 with over 150,000mi to a freind. Nothing broken, or worn out. Just oil, brakes and a clutch done. Probbably could use it to build several more homes.

Reply to
MBOSCHERT

no doubt are good trucks, but for the price of tundra i would opt to buy a sierra 2500...

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Okay then, to each their own - but if you buy the GMC truck, rather than paying the monthly repair bills it would be a lot cheaper to adopt the mechanic's son and put him through Harvard yourself.

It is a fact that while you pay more for a Toyota up front than a domestic truck, you make up the difference really fast on repair costs

- All the Toyota's I've ever owned didn't need much more than normal maintenance for at least 100,000 miles, and none of the domestics have made it that far without a few four-figure repair bills.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I bought a Tundra the first year the came out and they are great trucks. I was going to get the Silverado 1500, but when I saw the Tundra I changed my mine.

My work truck is a Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 liter V8 and because of my experience with this truck I wanted one. But as I stated, I went for the Tundra because of reliability, resale, etc. I owned it for a little over a year and sold it. I'll tell you up front I'm a big Toyota fan, and just bought a new 2003 4-Runner last week, but I simply was not satisfied with the Tundra. The Silverado is just one fantastic truck. Powerful, comfortable, reliable, and ergonomics' are great.

I live in my truck and put 101,000 miles on it over the last 3 years. My company has our vehicles services every six thousand miles and I've not had a problem except for numerous problems with the Firestone tires, and when we fist got the trucks they kept burning out daytime running light, but them got that fixed. In my region there are three us who all drive the same trucks and have approximately the same mileage. I'm a field technician and we take these trucks into some pretty nasty spots, pull heavy generators, etc. I've experienced them first hand, they take a licking and keep on ticking.

This is the only GM model I would pick over a Toyota, but I know for a fact that the Silverado's a great trucks. Best you can get IMO.

BTW, the new 1500's are 100,000 maint free except for oil changes and the like.

Reply to
Jack Dotson