2000 Tacoma Transmission

I just had a 60,000 mile service done to my 4 cyl automatic Tacoma

4x2. As, soon as I picked the vehicle up from the garage, I noticed that the car would not shift into overdrive on my way home. I did not think much of it since it was only 2 miles and never got above 40 mph. But now that I have had the car for a few days, I know the shifts are all screwed up. It will not go into overdrive until I reach 55 mph, unlike before where it was somewhere around 40 mph. If I am cruising at 35 mph, it will cruise in 2nd gear now instead of 3rd (D). The garage says that they changed the tranny fluid and gear oil and neither could cause this problem. But I am 100% certain that this shift pattern happened immediately following the service. Any ideas? Thank you so much.
Reply to
Paul LeCain

Wrong tranny fluid? I asked the mechanic about that initially and he said "tranny fluid is tranny fluid."

Reply to
Paul LeCain

That reminds me of the KFC commercial several years where they talk about other places using chicken "parts." The counter guy in the other place says "Parts, is parts."

I think I'd find another garage!!!

Tom...

Paul LeCa> Wrong tranny fluid? I asked the mechanic about that initially and he

Reply to
TOM

Or better yet, a good lawyer.

Reply to
Harrison

Thank you...maybe I should. For now I think I will have a new tranny service done at the local Toyota Dealer and see if it goes back to where it was. Thanks

Reply to
Paul LeCain

Thanks all. I found the problem. Attached to the throttle linkage is a cable that goes to the transmission. It seems to be some kind of kickdown control that lets the transmission know what the throttle is doing. Well, it was not in its groove but wrapped aroun the outside. As soon as I put this cable in its groove, everything was fixed. Apparently this had to be removed by my mechanic to get to the spark plugs. When it was replaced, the cable was not in the groove.

Reply to
Paul LeCain

Hi-

If you should update the garage service mechanic's memory, he/she may become a better transmission mechanic, however.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Excerpted from bOOTsy: "The garage says that they changed the tranny fluid and gear oil and neither could cause this problem. But I am 100% certain that this shift pattern happened immediately following the service."

Reply to
oscar jean