85 22R Timing Chain

I may have to take it all apart again. - pain.

Any tricks for keeping the chain "straight" till you get the head on and can then get it on the cam shaft?

Problem: I cant pull the slack up to the top. Is the chain stuck on a tooth.?? Got mine in a bind , cant turn the crank shaft to try and free it up. The new tensioner doesn't seem to want to work, like its stuck in the out position. Seemed to work when I bolted it up.

Its a long way down from the top, yes the head has just been installed, so I'm going to spend an hour or so trying to free the chain.

PS ; my current thought for next time is to use rubber band to somehow keep the slack chain at the top ( near the cam sprocket in the chain guides) while the timing cover and head are installed.

Thanks in advance for your ideas ! ! Scott

Reply to
sjohnsen

You should be able to put the crankd pulley back on an turn the engine by hand in neutral. If you can't even do that, then there must be some problem with the chain down there. You have to push the tensioner straight in. It will get stuck if you put any side loads on the tensioner piston. I would try to free the crank first, then wiggle the crank while pulling the chain up. While pulling the chain up, it would be helpful to pull towards to the right to push the tensioner in. You get more mechanical advantage that way. By wiggling the crank, you might be able to use the friction between the chain and the tensioner block to keep the tensioner piston from cocking to the side as it is pushed in. Clear as mud?

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Lee

Thanks ! I pulled the chain and rocked the crank but didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. Oh well --

I am taking the alternate approach. No, not the quarter stick of dynamite! Took it all back apart and bought more gaskets. Seems like the chain was stuck on the bottom /crank timing gear. My new approach is fool proof for the chain installation but may be troublesome elsewhere. Trade offs. I reinstalled the head and will install timing chain, tensioner, guides and cover to fit. I suppose I'll need some extra heavy duty sealer between the bottom of the head and timing cover. Any recommendations? RTV - gray, read, black, or some other ?

Thanks Again, I really appreciate your response. Scott

Reply to
sjohnsen

I used the Toyota black Form In Place Gasket (FIGP).

Roger Brown

This link seems to be about shackles, Google turns up this one that might be relevant:

Here is another article on the topic:

Insp. Gadget

Reply to
Roger Brown

Thank You All for the good links and info. Scott

Reply to
sjohnsen