ignition switch problem? Please read

Hi,

For the last few months I've had an intermittent problem with a 1998

4Runner. Sometimes when I put the key in the ignition it won't turn at all...it's just stuck there. I've tried fiddling with the steering wheel (although it's locked and has only about 1/4" of play) and finally after moving it a little the key will snap into action and turn. What's causing this and what can be done? Hopefully it won't cost a pile of cash. Other than that annoying little problem the truck is tip top and runs smoothly.

Thanks,

Phil

Phillip Smith

With luck you can find one at a wrecking yard with the key included.

Reply to
Burp

Hi Phil! Yeah, I have had the same problem with my 96 RAV4 and Tacoma. It is a simple problem though! Both of my vehicles exhibited the same symptoms after a while, and then I compared the key I had been using with an original key that I had not used before. WHOA! What difference! It seems that the toyota keys must be made out of soft metal or something, cause they sure do wear down quickly! In any case, I took the metal tab that comes with your vehicle's keys initially, down to the dealer, and they were able to make me another "original" key from those numbers. [I also know that if you present your vehicle's VIN#, they can make an "original" key from that as well, although they may ask for your registration & ID, as a security precaution] Anyway, when I tried the new key, it works perfectly; problem solved! As I said, this happened on two of my toyotas, so I feel pretty darn confident from what you described, that this is your problem too. Oh yeah, I word of warning, the keys at the dealer are not cheap. My local dealer had three types of keys; a metal "Curtis" key for $4.50, a rubbertipped "Curtis" key for $7, and a Factory original Toyota Key for $12! I went with the rubbertipped Curtis key. Good luck!

Reply to
rollee