2002 Tacoma 4x4 Clutch problems

I recently acquired a 2002 4X4 Tacoma with 74K miles (5 speed) whenever I put it into 1st and start out unless I ease the clutch out extremely slow and apply the exact amount of pressure to the accelerator the truck jerks, same thing happens when I shift into second. but when I go from third to fourth and so on the jerking stops and its somewhat of nice smooth transition in terms of it jerking.

I noticed when Im going through the gears I have to apply a little more force to the shifter to get it into the next gear, it just doesnt shift as smooth as it should. My sister just took the truck out to wash it and as she was making a right hand turn through the intersection doing 15 mph she went to downshift from third to second had to force it into gear, she didnt grind the gears but it did take some effort to get it into second gear.

I also have a problem getting it into reverse, to get it into reverse often times I have to grind the gears and if that doesnt work I have to put it into first, roll forward a couple of inches only than I can put it into reverse.

I let me nephew test drive it yesterday and when he put it into reverse and when let out the clutch he accidentally spun the rear wheels almost like he popped the clutch, he immediately apologized and said he had never driven a truck with a clutch that was so sensitive. After driving it around the block he agreed that there was something wrong with the transmission/clutch but like me couldn't pin point what the problem was.

Because Im ill the only time I leave the house is to go to Dr's appointments, as a favor a relative took the truck to a mechanic and a Toyota dealer and both say because the clutch feels tight and it isn't slipping there's nothing wrong with it.

I've been told that its the beginning of the end for the clutch and that it's just a matter of time before it goes out than I was told its quite possible that the fly wheel is warped.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Reply to
md_flap

A warped flywheel would indicate the clutch has been very hot at some point in its life.

I've not experienced the troubles you report, but I do have a 4X4, but I have very low gears and in LO Range I could not slip the clutch if I wanted to. The problem with factory gearing is that it is often set for highway use -- the vast majority of use, even for a 4x4 -- and this is frequently far too high for offroading. A poor driver that is offroading with gears taht are too tall will compensate by slipping the clutch. A slipping clutch = heat, heat = damage. It sounds as if you bought a damaged truck.

The only way I know to determine this for sure is to drop the trans and look at the clutch and flywheel.

For future reference, you said your sister took the truck through a turn at

15 mph, and attempted to downshift from 3rd to 2nd. This is entirely unnecessary. Your truck is able to sustain 15 mph in 3rd gear without any problem. Having said that, trouble making such a shift seems toe indicate clutch problems.

Coupled with your report that Reverse is difficult to select, my money is on at the very least a worn clutch. I have no problem wringing out 100k+ miles from a clutch, so if your clutch is worn at 74k miles and the flywheel is warped, these two symptoms go hand in hand. I have never had a warped flywheel, so the symptoms are beyond my experience. But, if the clutch was toast after 74k miles, I see no problem expecting the flywheel to be cooked too.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff, would it fix the problem if I were to have a mechanic put in a new clutch kit? I'd hate to have to spend that kind of money on the truck but because of the way it shifts I dont feel safe driving it and I certainly dont feel safe letting someone else drive me around in it.

Thanks

Reply to
md_flap

Jeff, would it fix the problem if I were to have a mechanic put in a new clutch kit? I'd hate to have to spend that kind of money on the truck but because of the way it shifts I dont feel safe driving it and I certainly dont feel safe letting someone else drive me around in it.

Thanks

I think so. The mechanic also needs to evaluate the flywheel's condition for you. They have a grinder that is used primarily for flywheels, so making the flywheel true again is a matter of a few more bolts once the clutch is removed, and 30 minutes or so at the grinding machine. Making the flywheel true should not stop your heart or cause high anxiety, and your checkbook should survive the ordeal as well. I had 4 (four) slotted and cross-drilled disc brake rotors machined on a flywheel grinder for about $70 and about an hour. That is 8 disc brake surfaces ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thank you Jeff, beings Im not feeling well enough to drive I'll see about getting someone to take it into the shop within the next few days

Reply to
md_flap

Thank you Jeff, beings Im not feeling well enough to drive I'll see about getting someone to take it into the shop within the next few days

Unless you are on your death bed, I suggest you wait a few days and handle this yourself.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thank you Jeff, at the current time my health isnt going to permit me to go anywhere much less to a dealership and try to get them to fix the clutch. The only time the truck gets used is when either I drive or someone else drives me to my Dr's appointment the rest of the time the truck just sits. Hopefully I'll start to feel better in the near future and I can have the clutch taken care of.

Thanks again

Reply to
md_flap