2002 Tacoma Undercarriage Rusting

So I'm looking at the underside of a 2002 Tacoma at a car lot, 4wd,

35k miles, and what I notice is a corrosion, rust, on just about every weld, on the leaf springs, just about the full length of the exhaust covered in rust, approx 1/4 coverage on the leaf springs, various bolts, etc., etc...

Bear in mind, whatever the location may be that I noticed it, it wasn't severe(save for the exhaust), but enough so to strike me as unusual. Top side, the truck was real clean looking like a 2002.

Could someone shed some light on this. Should I be concerned?

Reply to
aicyL

Any chance the truck is from a northern state where they put salt on the roads in the Winter? Three years of this would cause some rust if the truck is not undercoated well.

Reply to
Dan

"aicyL" sez:

Most any exhaust system will have more oxidation on it than the rest of the vehicle because of the high temperatures it experiences. However, lots of rust everywhere could be an indication that it spent some time under water (like in New Orleans post-Katrina). Look for signs of flooding like silt and mud up in the dash, etc.

Good shoppin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Additionally, pull a CarFax on the vehicle online, which will give you more info.on its origin of location and owners. Also, you can pull a warranty history from the VIN at a Toyota dealer service department.

Rust beyond the exhaust would concern me to the degree you've described.

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

It could also mean that the truck came from an area which regularly uses road salt during the winter to combat ice. This would cause the accelerated oxidation. I'd but a good rust neutralizer and spray the entire undercarriage, except for the exhaust. Check

for some.

Reply to
MrFixit469
4WD trucks are made to go off road and play in the sand, mud and rocks -- and even occasionally ford a stream or splash through puddles.
Reply to
Wolfgang