2008 Tacoma engine/road noise

Just traded our 2000 Taco for a 2008 Access Cab 4WD. We're disappointed in the level of road and engine noise at highway speeds. In particular, from

60 to 65 mph we get a high-frequency whine and noticeable buzz in the steering wheel. Is all this normal in the new Tacos? Thanks for your comments.

RWB

Reply to
R.W. Behan

Did you drive any of them before you bought one?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

The OEM tires are shit. But I agree that engine noise and road noise are excessive. Anyways, some real tires will help.

Reply to
DanG

Thanks for the tips. Probably just leave my hearing aids at home, until we need new tires, anyhow.

RWB

Reply to
R.W. Behan

BTW, there shouldn't be ANY "buzz" in the steering wheel, I'd make the dealer look into that.

Reply to
DanG

My 2007 Taco's tires howl like crazy on concrete at highway speeds but are relatively quiet on asphalt. Any recommendations on better road tires?

Jay Cups

DanG wrote:

Reply to
JayCups

Change tire brand or model. Tires have many properties, and you give up one to get another. But most would buy a tire for better safety, rather than less noise.

Reply to
Phisherman

Coopers are pretty quiet. Well at least the Discoverers STTs (I think thats right, the touring versions).

Reply to
Scotty

I won't buy anything but Michelin. The AS model is pretty quiet, and the smoothest ride I've ever had in a 31" tire. Also lasts forever.

Reply to
DanG