A lot of play in my stick shift

I have a 1983 toyta 4X4 pickup. And there is a lot of play in my stick shifter. (it was like that when I bought it) And The shop says I need a new transmission now. And they said to me that it should not be on the road even. And that doe's not sound right to me. The transmission works fine it shifts in all the gears fine. It just has a lot of play in the shifter thats all. Please Help me I do not want to pay 550 dollars at the junkyard for a new transmission. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

I think I can also post a video on youtube if I have to, The only thing I would I have to see if I can find a video cam. From someone (I do not have one). Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

theres a small plastic bushing on the end of the shifter... they wear out after a while ( i have 3 transmissions with them worn out) you can replace them and it will proubly make it so that it's less loose.

what you do is you take the top plate out of the tranny and theres you'll see a ball looking thing with a spike out the bottom attached to your shifter and the end of the spike has a small round plastic bushing.... you should be able to find them at an auto parts store.... although sometimes they can be tricky to find.

Reply to
Toshi38

If its shifting okay and not noisey then Id suggest that the nylon bushes on top of the shifter is stuffed or the bolts holding it down are very loose.

Remove the Centre console on your truck if you have one or just teh surround boot and you should be able to see the top of the gearbox. 4 Bolts 10mm each to get it off if its the one Im thinking of. Could also be the tension spring above the nylon bush.

Reply to
Scotty

That nylon bushing wears out or breaks at time and the stick goes extremely loose, I had it happen to an 91 that I had, I found out the hard way $375 at a trany shop at the time circa 93-94, about 96-97 it happened again I had wised up about it went to Toyota bought the bushing for $30 and changed it my self, held up till 06 when I traded it in for a Tundra. You can do ittttt. Good luck.

Reply to
TopHaT

Do yourself a favor and get the best replacement part possible from Marlin Crawler. These guys know toyota trucks inside and out. I got mine from them and couldn't be happier.

You need to figure out which tranny you have, and get the corresponding shifter seat.

John Myers

OK thanks al.l How do I find out what transmission do I have?? And is the bushing hard to replace?? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Also I can pull the gear shift out of the transmission.I do not if that has anythung to do with anything or not. And the trans is a 5 speed. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Well I just checked and I do not have a bushing under my gear shift. I will order one first thing friday Thanks again Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello