22R Timing

i just put the engine/tranny in my 87 truck and it turns over but doesnt start. I think it has to do with the timing but i dont know how to do that. any info helps! Thanks, Cole

Reply to
Cole

Loosen the bolt that holds the distributor to the point that you can twist the distributor. Leave some friction so the distributor stays in place. There is maybe two inches of twist in the distributor. Start with the distributor in the center of the range of twist, and make small adjustments either way until it starts. You'll want to put a timing light on it pretty quick, or you'll risk over heating...

Mark

Reply to
Mark and Ellen Smith

how do i use the timing light? and how does the timing light make it so it doesnt overheat?

Reply to
Cole

Cole, If you haven't moved the distributor, then the timing should not be a problem, assuming the engine was running before you installed it. Are you getting any spark?

Reply to
Linda Parker

i rebuilt the engine and everything, so the distributor was moved. i put it back in and the engine would only turn over.

Reply to
Cole

yes its getting spark cuz theres flames shooting out the exhaust.

Reply to
Cole

The technique I used when rebuilding VW's was to make sure the # 1 cylinder was at Top Dead Center (TDC) with both valves closed. Find the #1 plug wire position on the Distributor cap and then install the distributor so the rotor is pointing towards the #1 position on the cap. It always started and we set the timing from there.

Jarhead

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion...Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

-John Adams

Reply to
Jarhead