4runner: clunk! when tight left turn...and misc ?s

hello! i replaced the torn left inner cv boot recently.

been noticing a loud clunk! when turning tight lefts, only when moving i think. is it the right cv? it was checked with my pre-purchase check... is it something else? major? minor? help appreciated!

misc question:

-small area of exposure starting in front wheel edge of the well.... tips on curtailing it, touch up?

-any way to refurbish dull "premium wheels" on my 95 4runner?

thanks! james

Reply to
James Y. Yang

Hey James (btw: congrats on getting that 4Runner,)

on the wheels: try NeverDull, great stuff. We use it on our wheels and on anything metal around the house that needs a little shine. Hubby brought home a small wad from work to polish up some military coins and his belt buckles and we wound up getting our own can because the stuff was so useful.

on the paint: you can try touch up paint, but I've found the stuff wears off after a few washings, so it hasn't been all that great. Best bet truthfully is to have a body shop touch up places like that. They can match the paint better and make it last more than a few washes. Or if you don't care whether it matches, just get some spray-on primer or something until you decide to get the whole thing repainted, making sure to get rid of any corrosion first.

How long was the left CV boot damaged? If left unattended for long, it could have allowed dirt and debris to get in there damage the joint. When you replaced the boot, did you make sure to clean and grease the joint back up?

If I recall, when we had a cracked CV boot on our Prism, we wound up driving it around for a month or two before we could afford to replace it. By then enough road grime had damaged the joint that we had to *ulp* hire someone to replace the joint and boot both. It was a real pain. Anyhoo, you could still be having trouble with that same left CV joint. Drive with your windows down and see if you can tell exactly where the clunk is coming from. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

It could be the the nylon caps have worn off on your turning stops. This happens and results in a loud clunking sound on extreme turns. Put some grease on both the stop and the metal bracket that it meets up with.

I too have had to replace my front right CV boots. I didn't notice it for a while and was fixing my skid plate one day and saw the tear. Got the part from Toyota $63 CDN and had my mechanic install it. There are

2 boots needing replacement and the kit comes with the grease and brackets. I did not notice any sounds before or after. Good luck.
Reply to
Silentsam

Check that your swaw bar ends are still firmly connected to the A-arms. The bushing wears out and then you get a clunk as the bolt moves around on turns.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Had a simmalar problem with my wifes 91 honda accord. Turn out to be a loose tire!!!! They didn't tighten the damn thing down. Did fine strait, but on left turns it would klunk.

Reply to
MBOSCHERT

See:

Roger Brown