85 alternator

If you have read my previous posts, I have a small *cough cough* engine leak and because of it, I have replaced the alternator 2 times so far in the past year. I can only assume it is a matter of time until the this one goes and I think AutoZone is catching on to my little switch trick. At any rate, I know it's going when the dash lights come on when they aren't supposed to and I read in another post that changing the brushes in the alternator is possible. I haven't done that before and was just wondering how hard it is (i.e. time required and $$cost). I'd bet it's less than buying a new one... which is what I'll be doing (again) otherwise. Thanks guys.

- Josh

Reply to
TRDteam

A quick search on the net finds this:

Roger Brown

AutoZone alternators do not work well w/ toyotas, they don't last. You would do better to get a rebuild from a good local rebuilder. I have replaced dozens of Toyota starters & alternators and "the zone" won't cut it for either part, neither will the shelf units at most national chains. If you want the practice replacing parts they are the way to go, if you want it fixed go elsewhere.

Reply to
dat2

Thank you both. My alternator isn't out (yet) but I can now start the preparations for when it does.

- Josh

Reply to
TRDteam

I did this a few weeks ago. The brush holder with brushes runs about $20 at your local dealer and takes about 15 minutes to perform with no special tools involved.. Takes longer to pull the alt out but you should be a pro by now.

On Tue, 04 May 2004 23:25:44 -0400, "TRDteam" went like:

Reply to
feck

Thanks for the help everyone! I went to the local dealer today to see if they had the brush assembly and they told me they can't get it! Maybe the guy at the counter didn't understand what particular part I was talking about, so it looks like I'll have to try and trick them by calling in and giving them the part # for it and see if that works. Whatever part it is he did find listed as being $320...

Cheers, Josh

Reply to
TRDteam