replace toyota motor w/ Wankel??

My bro and I had a crazy idea the other day... Put a Mazda 13B rotary motor into a Toyota pickup. It would make it a lot lighter for the trails, I'm sure...

Just a pipe dream, i guess.

Reply to
Celica Dude

It has been done with VWs. My son got information on putting it in a VW Thing he bought. According to the literature the rotary fit under the rear deck lid. You probably would set the forest on fire if any of the exhaust touched any brush, as it runs very hot. I saw a single rotor conversion in Oklahoma that was for homebuilt aircraft applications. Also, the C.I. is 3 times what is published which results in very lousy gas mileage. That was the problem with putting it an airplane at that time. There are some other conversions out there now that claim to have solved the fuel consumption problem.

Reply to
Dumpster

Some interesting rotary sites:

A Google search for "Mazda Rotary Engine" turned up many more sites.

According to Rotary Engine Illustrated a rotary has twice the capacity of an equivalent piston engine. I had read before that it was 3 times?

Reply to
Dumpster

Yeah, I was looking at that atkinsrotary site and it looks like they have the exhaust routed high and clear of the brush on all those sand rails...

I can't imagine a 635 rwhp sand rail! That makes me drool!

Reply to
Celica Dude