'90 4Runner Rear bumper needs fix'n.

Got rear ended for the second time yesterday. Both times I was at a light. The first time a girl with huge slippers had her foot slip off the brake. I have no idea why it happened the second time.

Both hits were very low speed and aside from a slight dent in the bumper only managed to push the bumper down. I checked under the truck and none of the bolts holding the bumper have moved so the two brackets must be bent slightly.

I am thinking of hammering or putting the jack under the brackets and pushing the bumper back up.

Feedback?

Reply to
grinder

I wouldn't try this on the front but don't see why you couldn't on rear. If the brackets are bolted to the frame ends then they could be bent. If so, then the jack under the bumper could straighten them out. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Why wouldn't you try this on the front? It seems to me the added weight on the front end would make it easier to push the bumper up.

Reply to
grinder

There are inertia switches on the front that trigger the air bag. I would be afraid to mess with them without technical guidance as I don't know that much about them. Other than that it should be the same as rear. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Don't have air bags on a '90.

Reply to
grinder

OK, shouldn't be a problem then. If the front gets bent then jack away. :-)

Reply to
davidj92

I have had this happen too. I got a new rear bumper. If the brackets are bent, then they are not as strong as new. Even if you fix it, the next bump may push the bumper into the body. Body work will cost more then the bumper and you will then need a new bumper anyway.

Reply to
Eddie