Sigh... tire changers!

Went to Walmart yesterday, got 4 new Goodyear Viva Touring in prep for the snow last night. (seem to be GOOD tires for money, 3rd set I've bought for various vehicles)

Reminded the tech that early 90's TBird alloys are directional, suspicion that installing wrong way disrupts air-flow over the front rotors.

So, naturally, he installed them all backwards.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I Love Edsels

It figures - a lot of mass market auto shops don't listen very well. I just had a round 'n round getting tires on the '93 Cougar. Michelin X-One super-duper-everything tire was shot at 40k. Original dealer (NTB/Tire Kingdom) said sorry but they don't make these anymore so no warranty. Michelin cust service sent me to a local shop who processed everything for me - new Mich Harmony tires, now. The time warranty had expired a few months ago but Mich gave me a 25% credit anyway.

Now I need something for the Crown Vic. Same size tires. Sam's has a set of BF Goodrich Touring TA's for $300... but it has mass market techs...

Maybe I'll wait till I'm stuck in a ditch... the X-Ones on it still look OK... (90k)

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

I have a friend who works for a Tire Kingdom owned store. He tells me that if you call customer service and complain, you can get just about anything.

I'm really sad to hear that your Michelins didn't last any longer than that. I've always had excellent service from Michelin tires.

For your CV, may I suggest the good old X Radial, if it's still available. Last time I looked they still had it at BJ's and Sams. It's a little older design, but I've had it on my old Crown Vic and on some other stuff and I've been thrilled with the ride and durability.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Paul,

See does the following proposed course of action make sense:

1.) Determine -exactly- what is needed, possibly with the help of folks with this group. Maybe create a pc document with full details and print it. 2.) Identify 3-4 shops which should be able to manage 1.). Hand copy of requirements or fully explain to least catatonic-looking writer or manager you can find. If he/she doesn't fully comprehend, forget 'em. If he/she doesn't indicate full compliance, forget 'em. 3.) Repeat 1.) and 2.) 'til you find a likely candidate. 4.) Watch 'em like a hawk that ain't et for a week or 2. :-)

Some of 2.) might be practical over the phone ...

Oh, yeah. Consider no shops where you can't watch the work being done. And stipulate they save any old parts replaced unless the tech. is your brother (not brother-in-law). :-)

Seriously, I hereby swear I will -never- again crack the cover of a magazine/book whilst in the waiting room. Gonna keep 'em under my microscope. Same goes for -all- contracters/ gov't employees anywhere *near* my little home. Left to their own devices, they'll often do anything that pleases 'em.

Best, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

But not worth crap on snow/ice

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Hope you discovered the error before leaving the store. Next time try marking the rims with a magic marker like they do now before surgery.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Your opinion is fine. However, I drove both my 88 Crown Vic and my 92 Ranger, both 4x2, year round in WV mountain snows when I lived there, and never had a problem. Most problems on snow and ice are related to the driver, not the tires. The Ranger I had for 5 years, the CV for 3.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

wal-mart regularly messes up oil changes, certainly wouldnt put my life in their hands and let them touch my tires

Reply to
Petebert

Up here in Ontario I've gone back to dedicated ice and snow tires for winter driving on ALL family vehicles. Currently running Dunlop Graspics on 96 Mystique, 94 TransSport and 98 Neon.

Had Bridgestone Blizzaks on 96 Colt.

I had the "old" Michelin Xs on several vehicles in the past and would not recommend them. They wear like iron, but have poor wet traction. In the heavy traffic of urban central Ontario, you need every advantage you can get.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I do understand. I now live in the Washington DC metro area, and the type of traffic situations one is likely to face are dramatically different from my formerly rural clime.

My concern admittedly is more toward wear. I personally despise the soft rubber compounds of most snow tires. With a lot of them, you're lucky if you get more than one winter from them. I just haven't come upon conditions that require that sticky a tire. I guess the thing is this, I do well in the snow. However, if my wife had to drive in icy/snowy conditions all the time, I'd probably get the stickiest things I could find. :-)

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I will very likely go back to the local dealer that helped with the Michelins. They have a friendly crew and they're older people who have been doing this for a while. I got 4 Michelin Harmony tires thanks to Michelin and that dealer. We just had a 6" snow here and they are wonderful. The car rides better on dry roads, too.

The odd part is that the very same X-One tire on the CV has almost double the miles on it and still goes OK in snow. I will get new tires this winter if we get a snow like last year and I'll probably get the Harmony. The BFG's are a lot less, tho.

Even with the first gear lockout on the CV, I got stuck a block from home last winter. The city seems to think it shouldn't plow my little part of town. They say there are too many speed bumps and closed streets. Of course, the city installed the many street gates several years ago... for our protection.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

I'm confused (easily by the way).. you have two different design rims? One specifically for the left side and the other for the right side or they mounted the tires ignoring the directional arrows?

Happy modeming, Bill K.

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

Wheel are directional, not the tires

Note an early nineties Bird... they have spokes that look like turbine vanes...

sorta like a fan blade. And I cant recall if they are that plainly marked but they were bassackwards on my first bird and I went through rotors quick.

Finally figured it out, the 'vanes must AT LEAST assist air passing from the rotors.

Turned em right and no problems in 70,000 miles since.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

On a vane type wheel as you describe if all four wheels are the same pattern, two of them are always going to be wrong .. one side pushing air in to the rotors, the other side pulling brake dust out. When we sell sets off a car two of them are always dirtier for that reason.

Bill K.

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

arrgghhhh!!!

there are two designed for the left, two for the right.

Damn... dont you think I can see my own f$%^g car!

Tbirds aint that rare, still, look at one!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I put Harmony tires on my 2000 Taurus SE a couple of years ago and can't say enough nice stuff about the tires. Last year I was able to drive like a bat out of hell through a pretty good snow without slipping and sliding. They are quieter than the older Michelins that they replaced.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I asked earlier if you had two different rims.... as a rule we don't find those here (they are listed in Hollander®). Often when a car is impounded following an accident things end up missing, much to the insurance companies dismay. On the other hand we beat the first snow and got everything before '05 shredded and crushed and sent to the port. (I also initially stated I'm easily confused).

Bill K.

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

That should have read vehicles before 1995 shredded and crushed, I'm hoping to have enough money to operate in '06 and retire in '07.

Bill K.

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

You have maybe seen the "Aluminum 7-spoke" wheels like I have on my '94 'Boid?

I just checked 'em: 2 forward, 2 backwards (as mounted with

4 new tires at NTB before Tire Kingdom got 'em).

Same directional issue: I need to get 'em to rotate to my specs?

Thx, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man