Rear wheel(s) on an 2004 Kia Sedona locked-up when parked

What would cause rear wheel(s) on an 2004 Kia Sedona to lock-up when parked?

The rear wheels (or at least most definitely the driver's side rear wheel) on our 2004 Kia Sedona seem to be locked-up. When either in drive or reverse, the front wheels move the vehicle, but the rear wheels seem to not roll. I'm saying that it might just be the rear driver's side wheel because the van will move a yard or two, but that particular wheel has left a heavy tire skid on our driveway. The passenger side seems to leave a skid as well, but not as heavy.

The last time the van was operating properly was last night, when I drove it home in a heavy monsoon downpour. I went through a few deep puddles, but didn't bottom-out or anything.

Suggestions?

Reply to
Rango

I am not formally a mechanic, but having an '04 Sedona myself, I see three possibilities.

One would be a "grit" problem in your rear brakes. They are drums, which usually means nothing more than lots of "stuff" can get into them but very little gets out of them. A good thorough brake cleaning fluid would help that once you get the drums off.

Another would have to do with the parking brake. It sometimes wants to seize for no reason after the car is parked. This is rare in newer vehicles, but more cleaning and some lubricating (in only the right spots) would do the trick.

But a third would be more serious. The '04 had a recall for rear wheel hubs. There was a faulty cap that allowed water to get into the hubs and ruin them. Even if you had the recall taken care of, there could still be problems. Most of the time, all they did was replace the caps, then inspect the hubs, and unless they were real bad, let them go, until they proved they had to be replaced. In mine, one hub / bearing assembly got replaced one month after I took care of the recall, and the other one came after three months.

In any case, if it is rear brakes, I suggest you let a good mechanic take a long look at it. They are very good at diagnosing those things.

Hope this helps.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

As sudden as it happened (working one day, not the next), I'd suspect brakes.

Reply to
CMM

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:33:39 -0700, Rango took a five-minute break from flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

Um, rough guess here, but....

...the parkikng brake?

HTH!!

HAND

Reply to
PerfectReign

I do believe that their is a recall on some sort of bearing problem with some Sedona,s.Something about the seal on the bearings let water in sound to me like this may apply to you

Reply to
Tom