99 Isuzu Rodeo or a 97 Toyota 4Runner

I have been a Yota man for a long time. All the 5 vehicles that I currently own are all Toyota. I need to get a SUV for my wife and I am debating between a 97 Toyota 4Runner and a 99 Isuzu Rodeo.

The 99 Rodeo is a 4x4, automatic 3.2l. The 97 4Runner is a 2W drive 2.7L manual. I own a 96 4Runner with a 2.7l engine and it has adequate power. And I don't care for a 4x4, because most of the driving is in the city.

What would you Yota heads recommend?

Thanks. Sid

Reply to
Sid

Assuming your wife enjoys driving a stick, I'd go for the 4Runner. I have a

96 2.7L 2wd manual. I'm happy with it in all aspects. It seems to work really well for city driving and weekend sport use. I have only one problem with mine, we fight over who gets to drive it on weekends. ;) As far as it being a "wife's" vehicle... I use mine for toting three kids around- all three in car seats, mind you- hauling stuff, camping, running to town (15 miles, 50/50 for highway and city) and short trips in the immediate area (5 mins driving.) In the 4 years we've had it, there's been no need for repairs, no worries. We flat wore out the tires the dealer had installed new when we bought it. We have taken it on one cross-country trip (1800 miles one way) and several shorter in-state trips of 300-1000 miles round trip. The only problem trip was to San Francisco trying to drive up Lombard street... I'm almost certain my husband should not be allowed to drive a manual transmission vehicle in San Fran. The next 45 minutes of the trip were scented by burning clutch, so I assume my clutch will need work sooner than usual.

I'm honestly in love with the darn thing, no way anyone could persuade me to part with it.

I'd guess it all depends on what your wife would like though. She will be the one driving it. Would she know how to use the 4wd on the Rodeo, or would it even be needed? Automatic is kind of nice, but if she never needs the 4wd it's a waste. Have you considered your most likely repair and maintenance costs for both vehicles? How do you feel about the rollover and safety ratings for the Rodeo vs 4Runner?

Will she ever be using it for occasional rough-and-tumble driving, or will it be 100% grocery-getter? If the latter, then don't waste the Yota... get the Rodeo, since that's what it's made for. *grin* Dee

Reply to
Pookerz