99 Tacoma brake question. Help, please..

I have a 99 Tacoma V-6 and a little problem with the brakes that I don't quite understand. The brakes have been a little spongy or soft for awhile and feel like the pressure is bleeding off slowly and the pedal goes down some and then at other times they act fine and are firmer when the pedal is depressed. So I figure the master cylinder is leaking and I'll change it soon enough when the weather warms up.

Well today waiting in line at a bank I shut the truck off to wait. While sitting there I was messing around and pumping the brake pedal to see what happens. The pedal is very firm and acting like the brakes should feel all the time. So with my foot on the brake pedal I started the truck and as soon as it started the pedal went mushy again. What is the problem, it sure does not seem to be the master cylinder any more.

Thanks,

Scott..

Reply to
Scott

that's what all power abs braking systems act like. once the engine is turned on there is a softer pedal caused by a few things including the power booster valve and the abs system. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
shawnews.vc.shawcable.net

I do not have abs...

Thanks.

Reply to
Scott

I have a '99 V6 without ABS which, at 70,000 miles I just got the brakes replaced two weeks ago. The brakes will be softer when you start up. Also, as I just mentioned the mileage can play into how much play you have in the brakes unless you have been keeping up on the brake fluid level. Even my parking brake felt "different" the first time after I took it away from the shop with the new shoes on the back brakes.

Depending on how much your pedal is going down you may not have a real problem. It may just be how comfortable you are with the feel of the pedal.

Reply to
stefan