99 Tacoma V6 brake problem, Help if you can.

Hi,

I have a 99 Tacoma V6 Xtra cab manual trans that is giving me some brake problems that I can't seem to pin down, hopefully someone here can help.

My brake pedal travels down quite far until there is about an inch or two of travel left. Then the remaining travel is spongy and I can bottom it out fairly easy. If I do this while traveling down the road the truck will stop but I am unable to lock up the tires. I do not have anti lock brakes so there is no pulsing of the pedal nor do I have an indicator light for them on the dash.

So I carried it to a shop and they changed the master cylinder and adjusted the rear shoes. That seemed to help but shortly after that it went back to being spongy again. So I bled the system and still nothing has changed.

Could this be a problem with the rear auto adjusters messing up? Everything else appears fine as far as leaks and damaged lines go. I hope someone can help me clear this up.

Thanks,

Scott..

Reply to
Scott

My old 85 and 90 both have a vacuum assist diaphram --- does yours? Id so could be vacuum line on it or the booster itself. Fins a Chilton or Hayes manual to check.

Reply to
Wolfgang

It isworth checking all the flexible brake lines and calipers to make sure those parts are in good shape. Weak flexible lines can casue symptoms like you are describing.

Reply to
Ed White