'99 Tacoma V6 Timing Chain checkup questions

Reading earlier posts on timing chains....

My Tacoma has 187,000 on it. I have no history on the truck from 175,000 mi back. Truck starts and runs fine. I really like this truck and plan on keeping it for a long time... Should I take it in for a check on the timing chain or other critical components? I have the oil and filter changed at

3000 mi and it has a K&N Air Filter which I've serviced at approximatley 177,000 mi.

I don't have any experience with Toyota's other than driving them for many many carefree miles. I want to take good care of this truck....in my opinion it has what it takes to become a classic vehicle ...

Thanks in advance for the responses....

NJ

Reply to
Nick Williams
175,000 mi | back. Truck starts and runs fine. I really like this truck and plan on | keeping it for a long time... Should I take it in for a check on the timing | chain or other critical components? I have the oil and filter changed at | 3000 mi and it has a K&N Air Filter which I've serviced at approximatley | 177,000 mi. | | I don't have any experience with Toyota's other than driving them for many | many carefree miles. I want to take good care of this truck....in my opinion | it has what it takes to become a classic vehicle ... | | Thanks in advance for the responses.... | | NJ | |

The V6 has a timing belt (not a chain like the 22RE 4 banger) that should be replaced at 90 kmiles according to the manual for the '99 model. I just had mine replaced at 92 kmiles. Earlier year models had

60 to 75 kmile replacement times.Yes, it is a non interference engine which means if the belt breaks there shouldn't be any damage to engine parts. But, I didn't want to add the possibility of a big tow charge here in Texas. IMO you would be better off without the K&N filter. Especially if you drive in dusty conditions. I replace the air filter every 5 kmiles.

I like the fact that my '99 has manual hubs and manual windows and door locks. I don't want all of the "bell and whistle" packages that the later models come with. I am hoping the truck will outlive me.

Reply to
Jarhead

It should be a timing belt like my 99 V6. You can pull off the cover and check the belt, but if you're gonna go that far, might as well replace it. They are due every 80K miles or so.

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Toyota says change the belt at 90,000 mi in my owners manual. I have a

2000. I had it changed at 90,000 and the belt looked fine, just like new. But the water pump was seeping , so we changed that also. They are an easy truck to love. I hope to have mine at least another 7 years. Scott
Reply to
zonie