alloy wheel lug nut size ???

I have an '88 4Runner with factory alloy wheels. They are the original four double-spoke style, 15x7 JJ.

Well the New England winters have taken their toll, and my wheels are really corroded. So I picked up a much better set of 4 (same style) from Ebay. I like the factory look. The wheels are used, but in very nice shape.

I brought them to my buddy's garage to have them swapped onto my tires. He mounted the tires and balanced them, but when he went to put the wheels on the truck, he discovered that my lug nuts were too wide to fit through the holes in the new wheels. The stud holes in the wheels I bought are smaller than my original wheels! We aborted the tire-mounting mission and put my originals back on. Now I'm trying to figure out what's going on. My lug nuts are too fat!

Did Toyota make a modification to these wheels at some point? These wheels were used on 4Runners and pickups for many years in the late 80s and early

90s. Are there different size lug nuts for different years? The threads are the standard 12 x 1.5.

My other thought is that these newer wheels are aftermarket reproductions? My originals have the word Toyota cast into the wheel, but the new ones do not. I find that a bit odd. The new ones also say in the back "Made in the USA". They look just like the factory wheels.

I assume I can buy some narrower lug nuts, but it just seems very odd to me that Toyota made the holes smaller at some point in the evolution of these wheels. I'd like to understand why I'm buying new lug nuts before I just go out and do it.

Thanks, TK

Reply to
TK-70