Automatic Trans Problem

Any ideas?? I have a 1991 toyota 2wd 4cyl. automatic with 75k on it. Recently I have encountered a shifting problem. About every 3rd time I drive the truck it will go up to an abnormally high rpm before it shifts into the next gear. I tried shifting it manually and that doesn't work either. When it does shift it slams into the next gear. I don't know enough about mechanics to know where to begin. Do these transmissions have a speed sensor?? Thanks for the help. Peter

Reply to
peterbmason

Just curious: Are you the original owner of the truck?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I am the 3rd owner.

Reply to
peterbmason

OK....I asked because 75K miles sounds odd for such an old vehicle, and it's even stranger for a tranny to go bad at that age, unless it had been abused.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Start by checking the trans fluid level and condition. Is the fluid at the full mark ? Is the fluid clean or dirty ? Does the fluid smell burnt ? Has the trans fluid ever been changed before or is it still the original fluid ? If the fluid was changed was the correct fluid used ?

Reply to
Mike

That means the friction plates(clutch pak inside an auto trans) is going bad and starting to slip. You'll be needing another trans soon, or have yours rebuilt.

Reply to
MrFixit469

I'd try draining and refilling the transmission, cleaning with

then a complete flush and refill. This works very well if the problem is due to varnish buildup or stiff sealing parts. If there is mechanical damage, you'll need a rebuild soon.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton