Borla exhaust

Just bought an 07 Tacoma V6 prerunner double cab. Bought it sight unseen came from dealer in another area out of regional stock. Came with a Borla exhaust system.

Salesman was not very clear on what a borla system was told me it was dual exhausts. I said OK I'll take the option, but turns out it is a single, high flow exhaust system with dual outlets and tips.

A little noisy for my taste, but I'm warming up to it. I believe the dealer wants me happy and would swap it with a stock system and give me credit if I push it.

But I'm told that the system (also includes a high flow air filter) enhances fuel economy. Anyone have enough experience to comment on this claim.

Thanks,

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

No, not familiar myself but this might help, like the sound samples on their site.

Justin

If the dealer is willing to swap it out, I would bet the exhaust is a Cat Back system.

I am not aware on any air filter borla sells.

There are a few different air filter kits available for that engine.

I have the FJ and purchased the airraid for mine. If the dealer insists on telling you there is some air filter kit, I'd tell him to show you.

Reply to
owl

It is. Dual from the exhaust manifolds to dual catalytic convertors and then large single Y and pipe to the Borla muffler and dual outlets. And I haven't requested that (replacement) yet, only considered it. I can warm up to the sound ( my only issue) if there is a mile per gallon or so in it for me. Was interested in anyones experience of that being the case.

There is a decal on the air plenum that states "do not discard, permanent air filter, clean per instructions at 50,000 mile intervals, Borla Performance Industries"

I suspect it is private branded to Borla and made by airraid or K & N.

Not a kit or at least not a true cold air intake kit. Probably just a high flow permanent air filter. Plenum box is very large, but I never looked at a stock unit to see if it is different.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

My 05 Tundra has the borla exhaust and a drop in Borla reusable air filter.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

My experience is that opening up the intake and exhaust usually allows then engine to create more power, using more fuel, not less.

That said, what kind of MPG are you seeing on the unbroken in truck?

Maybe someone with a stock V6 DC Prerunner can compare your MPG to their unbroken in MPG. My truck is a 4WD Access Cab, so the comparison won't be as meaningful.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I checked two tanks. First was 80% highway driving and I got 20.48 mpg. Second was all highway driving and I got 21.82 MPG. Both trips with four adults and a lot of heavy luggage in the bed,

About 75% of the mileage on the Natchez Trace which equates to low cruising speeds (59 or so) and the balance on the interstate at 75 or so.

Haven't checked an around town tank yet, doing that now, but I think that highway mileage is fairly good. Truck just went over a thousand miles.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

My Access Cab 4x4 with the same engine, 6 speed manual, stock intake/exhaust, and 15,000 miles gets ~ 20 @ 60 MPH, which drops to ~18.5 @ 75 MPH. Lots of short trips around town gets ~ 15.5-16 MPG. I get slightly better mileage on premium, enough to make it very slightly cheaper per mile. My numbers are on 10% alcohol blend, which is all we can get.

For a brand new truck, it sounds like you're doing fine. At least in '05 when I bought mine, the automatic was rated about 1 MPG better than the manual transmission.

Reply to
B A R R Y

You're getting what the book says for your configuration on the current model. 4x4 and 6MT derates about 3 around town and 2 on the highway in the current book, but you are right on the numbers. Not many vehicles actually get what the estimates say they should get.

Guess I'll keep the Borla I/E. May be helping, doesn't seem to be hurting. It "growls" a little more than I like, however, smooths out at cruise with no more noise than stock.

I'm old enough to be about half deaf anyway so it doesn't really bother me too much :~)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

The comb should give an increase in power and fuel mileage.

Reply to
Thomas Wright