Tundra Dual Exhaust

Hey folks, is the performance exhaust offer by Toyota a real dual set up? Meaning is it a dual cat to dual muffler dual pipes? Or is it a single cat to single muffler dual pipes? Any real power/torque gain from it?

Much thanks.

Reply to
;)

It would be good to find dual exhaust or even "cat back" for a '05 Tundra with the V-6 :-)

Reply to
Noon-Air

Are you pulling a "father-in-law" on me, assuming that it's a "Toyota" product because the dealer is selling it?

I find no mention of such an exhaust option on Toyota.com.

Most car dealers in my area sell a plethora of aftermarket products at grossly inflated prices. They can get away with ridiculous prices because silly, uninformed people roll the parts cost into the financing or lease, rather than purchasing the aftermarket stuff outright.

Reply to
B A R R Y

A father-in-law?

Look harder! DE10 is the code and the price from factory is $779 at least in the Tundra the Taco has the same option not sure about it's price and I got this from Toyota.com

The dealer will install it and warranty for me for $900, the truck is only 4 months old with 800 miles. The after market setup that I have seen are about the same money plus the labor to install it, but they are not true dual exhaust, is a single muffler with dual pipes back. I'm going to call the dealer to get my answer, was hopping to get some feed back from the techs on the NG.

Reply to
;)

It doesn't come up with my zip (Northeastern US) for either truck, under "options" or "Build a Toyota". There are several "port installed" options that say, Southeast Toyota offers that our local dealers don't. 10-1, it's the Borla system advertised in my dealer's parts department.

I don't see 10% of the aftermarket dual exhaust equipped trucks around here that I do in Florida and Texas. This seems to be a regional style thing. I've NEVER seen a dual exhaust 05+ Tacoma, and they're very popular here. Even the Rams and F150's that I see with 'em often have Gulf Coast states license plates.

The "FIL" reference was a silly thing relating to how my FIL always refers to everything the independent dealer says, sells, and does, as "Toyota". About 18 months ago, a local dealer tried to charge him for a $2200 in-warranty Prius repair. He constantly stated "Toyota" (the dealership) told him it wasn't covered, and was prepared to forget about it. When he finally spoke with the real "Toyota" (the manufacturer), a refund check was hand delivered to his home by the apologetic service manager.

Reply to
B A R R Y

department.

I live in S. Florida maybe it is a local thang, 33026

Well maybe it is cause around her most truck no matter what brand have them, I either got dual exhaust or moonroof, I could not find one with both at the time.

Yeap I belive ya, that is why I wanted an opinion from the NG, the dealer will rook ya if you give them the chance. I'm more interested in knowing if it really helps any power wise.

Reply to
;)

Most of the "dual" exhausts are two outlets from a single muffler, and only for looks. In any case, true dual exhaust has only two benefits--that great classic V8 sound and smaller diameter mufflers for more ground clearance. Because of the V8 firing order with two cylinders on the same side firing in sequence once each cycle, true duals have gas flow congestion at this point in time and do not give more power. Either true duals properly sized (2") with an x-pipe crossover or single 2-1/2" gives the most power.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Hey Ken, Thanks for the info and the link. If you read all the manufacturers BS sessions they all give you 10-20% power gain over stock configuration, it makes sense that if your letting the engine exhaust out better you should get some gain, my beef or concern is that if your not going headers to dual cat/muffler and pipe, how much do you really gain? It's not worth the money or trouble if your only gaining 1-2 HP. I really don't care about the sound anymore.

Reply to
;)

Don't forget the other end.

Check out the words in air intake and filter manufacturers advertising, then closely look at their own dyno graphs, pay attention to where the gains are. Then think about how often you cruise around at 5000 RPM.

What it tells *me* is that vehicle manufacturers do a very good job these days of getting the power and efficiency where it counts most on the road, near the legal speed limit.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Boy... who is having trouble with a lack of power with a V8 Tundra?! Mine hauls ASS.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff