buying question

When people say you should only pay xxx dollars over invoice I presume they aren't including Tax, Title and License fees in that xxx number, right??

** remove .invalid from my email address to reply by email **
Reply to
dbtexas

simply ask to see the VIR (vehicle inquiry report) for the VIN#. if they balk, you walk away and call them liars, if they show you the VIR they are most likley a honest dealer and then you can haggle within reason. $800-$1200 over dealer bottom-line cost is a fair price...

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Include the so-called extended warranties that are manufacturer-backed in your list of "pack" items that are nearly pure profit for the dealer. No big difference in aftermarket service contracts and manufacturer-backed service contracts from the purchase end (maybe other big differences). Always keep in mind that none of these are warranties...they are service contracts regardless of what the sleaze-ball "business manager" calls them.

Buying a car is the only big purchase where the buyer is negotiation against professionals.

Good car buying info:

Note that this guy hasa few promotions on his site. He used to charge a fee to view his info, nowhas ads. Somehow he has to pay his bills to keep his site on the 'net....

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Yes, the manufacturer extended warranties are still mostly profit for the dealers (offer half of what they first ask if you want one), but they have a big advantage over the third-party contracts - at least you have a good chance of getting any future claims paid.

The car manufacturer wants to keep you as a satisfied customer, so their contracts are realistically worded and not loaded with weasel-out clauses. The third-party warranties are very craftily written so as to look great at first glance, but pay out as LITTLE as possible. Things like "either you delay the work two weeks or a month until we get our claims inspector out to check the car before work can begin, or the claim is denied" while you're on vacation.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman